Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for some nino mouthpieces, other than the selmer, vandoren and yanagisawa, what others are on the market? and if there are vintages ones floating around, would they fit modern selmer ninos.

thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've been researching sopraninos lately, and the only other modern piece I can think of is the Caravan which, as a Rascher player on my other horns, is the direction I'll probably head if/when I finally get a 'nino. For vintage people seem to like old Buescher and Conn pieces, but they're rare.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
466 Posts
Rampone also makes a high quality sopranino mouthpiece, but it tends to be on the brighter side similar to the other modern sopranino mouthpieces available.

On my modern sopraninos, I use either a Caravan, or a highly modified Selmer sopranino mouthpiece. On my Bueschers and Conns I use the original mouthpieces.
Paul Cohen

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been researching sopraninos lately, and the only other modern piece I can think of is the Caravan which, as a Rascher player on my other horns, is the direction I'll probably head if/when I finally get a 'nino. For vintage people seem to like old Buescher and Conn pieces, but they're rare.
interesting! I will check out caravan, thanks for your input

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rampone also makes a high quality sopranino mouthpiece, but it tends to be on the brighter side similar to the other modern sopranino mouthpieces available.

On my modern sopraninos, I use either a Caravan, or a highly modified Selmer sopranino mouthpiece. On my Bueschers and Conns I use the original mouthpieces.
Paul Cohen
Hi Professor Cohen,

pleasure to see your reply here! My friend from Amsterdam really enjoyed her time at your studio. I am also a big fan of your immense collection! hope to meet you one day!

I will try to seek out a rampone to try, although I'm not a fan of a sound that is too bright. (and possibly caravan is quite difficult to get in europe)

could you elaborate on the "highly modified Selmer sopranino mouthpiece"? who did the work and in what way would you describe the sound and response? if there are any photos to show would be a bonus!

thanks alot!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Here's a thread I made about most of the sopranino mouthpieces on the market: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...opranino-mouthpieces-and-reeds-(some-reviews). The only modern sopranino mouthpiece not mentioned there in is probably the Rampone which I never tried because I haven't found one for sale. If you want to see pictures, you should install the "Photobucket embed fix" to your browser.

For some reason, sopranino mouthpiece prices have skyrocketed lately, about $80 to $100 more than they were a year ago.

When it comes to small chambered pieces, the Vandoren is the way to go. I've bought several Selmer and Yanagisawa pieces and in all cases, they had bad facings that needed adjusting to play well.

I tried one Caravan large-chambered piece but the sample I had was not finished well with an uneven tip rail and a crooked facing. I bought it used so I don't know if the facing was original.

That's my 2-cents.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
466 Posts
Ron Caravan checks and finishes off each mouthpiece that leaves his studio, and they are all in excellent condition. I have three of them and they are perfectly faced and consistent (and each plays a little differently). They are easily ordered on his web site of Caravan mouthpieces. You may have purchased a mouthpiece that was worked on after the original purchase.

I have had at least six Selmer mouthpieces refaced/contoured by three different mouthpiece refacers. The last set by Joe of soprano planet. Each refacer did different things; all drastically improved the sound, taking out many of the higher partials, adding some resistance for control and refinement, and making the mouthpiece more tonally acceptable. I now use Van Doren 3s or 4s (depending on the nature of the facings) on these mouthpieces. The Caravan uses soprano or sopranino reeds. These days I get better intonation on the sopranino reeds, using a strong 3 or weak 4.
Paul Cohen

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all for your input!

I am definitely looking for a bit less partials and more control. I will try to get as much experience as i can and try a bunch of things

thanks again

·
Merchant
19 Posts
Hi!
At Syos, we make also Sopranino mouthpieces. We actually do all kind of "weirdo" mouthpieces, for C melody, tarogato, for playing 3 saxophones in the same time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts