Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Sounds excellent Dr. Cohen and I heard this when you also demonstrated the Gershwin on your curved nino. I like the sound of the Conn on this clip and the Selmer is ethereally beautiful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This post is a question, not a declaration. If you think it should be answered in the negative, feel free to cite your evidence.

Is there any good sopranino news?

After three busy years I'm revisiting SOTW with some Nino News.

For a number of years I owned sopraninosax.com, but I never created the site. The .com registration lapsed, but I decided it was more appropriate to register the .org instead.

(At the time of this writing, the site registration is so new your browser won't have a site to find.)

For the diehard sopranino player & post reader, read down to the "Relevant experience" section below about why I think it's worth having such a site.

The site's going to build up slowly. It'll also be super simple: just HTML + CSS. I have my reasons.

My plan for the site is the same as before:
  1. List of songs on which sopranino sax is featured.
  2. History of the instrument
  3. A link pointing back to this subforum and/or to a specific thread.
  4. Some other info, perhaps
Also:
  • No ads
  • No posts or contributions from other people
  • No blog
  • No dependence on other IT folks (i.e. I won't accept offers to design, maintain, etc.)
It'll just be me posting stuff.

Posting stuff with the help of folks like you.

That's what keeps the other site going. People submit info in various ways, and then (as time permits) I post those updates.

Relevant experience
A similar website I created for an unrelated, hardly popular obsession has been running for over a decade. Lots of folks have used the site to find what they need, where they need.*

And it's had an impact.

The Big Person in the U.S. for this particular hobby even helped with the site, and Big [for tiny community] National Organization's website links to the website I created. Whether the hobby is in decline, or holding steady, or actually regaining popularity, the most important thing is that hobbyists can find what they need, and find each other.

So there's some evidence that creating such a site and maintaining it for years will help get the word out about the sopranino sax. I aim to find out.

First I need to find the list of sopranino songs I compiled. A year ago I may have (gulp) recycled the list--and it wasn't a short list--but the list can be revived. It overlapped online lists, but included some unusual entries. And since the list was/is about sopranino only, no searching! No waiting! Literally nothing but 'nino!

* It's better if I don't mention the other hobby site I maintain. You'll likely imagine something way cooler than what it is. The interface is kept very simple: it runs in any browser, and it's just a bunch of data with no extraneous words, graphics, etc.

One of you out there may have visited the site. Possibly. Well, let's say there's a 3% chance you live within fifty miles of someone who has used the site. Close enough! You're practically best friends with that site visitor, whoever it is.

·
Registered
720 Posts
After three busy years I'm revisiting SOTW with some Nino News.

For a number of years I owned sopraninosax.com, but I never created the site. The .com registration lapsed, but I decided it was more appropriate to register the .org instead.

(At the time of this writing, the site registration is so new your browser won't have a site to find.)

For the diehard sopranino player & post reader, read down to the "Relevant experience" section below about why I think it's worth having such a site.

The site's going to build up slowly. It'll also be super simple: just HTML + CSS. I have my reasons.

My plan for the site is the same as before:
  1. List of songs on which sopranino sax is featured.
  2. History of the instrument
  3. A link pointing back to this subforum and/or to a specific thread.
  4. Some other info, perhaps
Also:
  • No ads
  • No posts or contributions from other people
  • No blog
  • No dependence on other IT folks (i.e. I won't accept offers to design, maintain, etc.)
It'll just be me posting stuff.

Posting stuff with the help of folks like you.

That's what keeps the other site going. People submit info in various ways, and then (as time permits) I post those updates.

Relevant experience
A similar website I created for an unrelated, hardly popular obsession has been running for over a decade. Lots of folks have used the site to find what they need, where they need.*

And it's had an impact.

The Big Person in the U.S. for this particular hobby even helped with the site, and Big [for tiny community] National Organization's website links to the website I created. Whether the hobby is in decline, or holding steady, or actually regaining popularity, the most important thing is that hobbyists can find what they need, and find each other.

So there's some evidence that creating such a site and maintaining it for years will help get the word out about the sopranino sax. I aim to find out.

First I need to find the list of sopranino songs I compiled. A year ago I may have (gulp) recycled the list--and it wasn't a short list--but the list can be revived. It overlapped online lists, but included some unusual entries. And since the list was/is about sopranino only, no searching! No waiting! Literally nothing but 'nino!

* It's better if I don't mention the other hobby site I maintain. You'll likely imagine something way cooler than what it is. The interface is kept very simple: it runs in any browser, and it's just a bunch of data with no extraneous words, graphics, etc.

One of you out there may have visited the site. Possibly. Well, let's say there's a 3% chance you live within fifty miles of someone who has used the site. Close enough! You're practically best friends with that site visitor, whoever it is.
As said earlier in this thread I have a large number of original recordings using sopranino. I posted eight on Mar 8, 2021 reply #31. Contact me by PM if interested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As said earlier in this thread I have a large number of original recordings using sopranino. I posted eight on Mar 8, 2021 reply #31. Contact me by PM if interested.
I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Original recordings would likely go in a separate page from historical recordings available on vinyl, CD, etc. Original recordings can be great, and for many people even better, but from past experience with my other site I have to be judicious with accepting links to original materials.

That said, of the tunes of yours I've listened to, "Smell the funk in that jam!" is one that appeals to my tastes the most so far. I'd love to link to it.

I have (or had) perhaps a hundred listings from sources such as The Penguin Guide to Jazz (which I read through page by page). I would love to have more listings, once I find those or (sigh) regenerate the list from scratch. Online track listings didn't include a number of the old listings I've only found on paper, or stumbled across in other ways.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Item 1. Yanagisawa, a major sopranino supporter in the past, seems to have largely abandoned the voice. The Yany sopranino is still listed as a current model on the company's official website, but good luck finding a new one on sale in the United States. I'm not sure that Europe is much better (e.g., the sax is "Out of Stock" at sax.co.uk, and can only be "pre-ordered.") The sax itself seems to have been mostly frozen in time since the late 1970s. Not only is there no WO sopranino, there really wasn't even a 9xx series sopranino. The model is called the SN981, but it retains the old-fashioned, Mark VI-style palm keys and LH table keys from many decades ago. The range tops out at high E -- another aspect of the Yany nino that has been awaiting an upgrade for more than 40 years.
re: Item 1. Although you make a solid argument that Yanagisawa has abandoned the sopranino is there any actual confirmation of this as fact? They were very methodical about releasing the WO series among the other voices. Perhaps in a couple of years there will be a WO sopranino as well? (Yes I accept it hasn't been updated in decades, but that doesn't mean will be never be).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
...after watching some naptown brass videos I think that a screaming little nino could play a perfect role in your band ;)

• Love
Reactions: Grumps

·
Registered
223 Posts
I play my yani nino up to its range. I'm still interested in trying one keyed to F#. Yani won over Mauriat when I bought it 8 years ago due to its better tone. I think the Mauriat nino has been upgraded since then. If I get a free cash, I might waste it on Mauriat nino. A perfecf gift for me will be a curved R&C nino 😉. I envy Dr Cohen. I love nino although it doesn't get as much exposure as my other saxes. Its warm tone in the lower register is pleasant over the soprano to my ears.

I remember walking into London store of sax.co.uk years ago and picking up a soprillo to try for the first time. The staff on hand, unknown to me, was quietly watching to see if I'd be able to make a sound out of it. He was shocked (& said so) as I started playing a tune from the first sound. I smiled inside and thought 'if only he knew I've already spent months on nino' and embouchure for soprillo wasn't going to be too much of a jump. If I lay my hands on a nino keyed to F# again, I'd be interested in trying altissimo on it just for the heck of it. Anyone has altissimo fingering chart for sopranino? I might try it on the SN981 in the meantime.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts