Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In lack of a better title...

How come there are no Sonny Rollins threads? He is the only saxophonist i really enjoy listening to and who inspires me. I love his tone and improvising, it captures what music really is for me. What do you think?

How would you describe his sound? Mellow? Dark? Metallic?

Also, please give me some names of other great tenor players with a similar tone or spirit!

·
Registered
177 Posts
i would describe it (his tone) as dark, heavy, with attack and with presence. i sort of enjoy the contrast between his tone and approach to improvising. it's a heavy sound but it gets around in a playful manner, with a lightness and bounce rather than heavy all the way...i wouldn't say it's swift or extremely agile, but it does bounce...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sonny's the best at creating non-stop beautiful, tough and surprising melodies as he solos. It's a constant flow of linked ideas, with almost no filler or uninteresting show-off pyrotechnics. Everthing moves forward to the next thing, and that thing has meaning and a direct relationship to what came before and is yet to come.

The man is a genius, and I can listen to him all day long. He's the best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also enjoy his sounds. At first I was only into either really heavy or really smooth jazz. Sonny Rollins is my happy medium.

Sent from my Undisclosed Apple Related Device using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sonny Rollins is amazing. I saw him in concert in Berlin two years ago. I think he must have been 79 years old by the time, but his playing was really youthful. Incredibly fresh ideas in his playing, never cliches or show-off licks, just pure musicality. And his tone is of course very solid. Another thing that amazes me about his playing is his incredibly rhythmic capability, both in terms of playing interesting rhythmic patterns, but also in his impeccable groove. Listening to for instance the Saxophone Collossus album, I've tried using software such as Amazing slow downer to reduce the tempo to half and lower (for the purpose of rehearsal...), and his playing still grooves at 50% of the speed it was recorded at. I don't advocate 50% speed as a good way to listen to music in general :) , but somehow it demonstrates is superior groove-capability...

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
329 Posts
Saw him in concert this year. Still has it. Ended up the show circular breathing on a low B flat or something like that (I don't have perfect pitch). Very good show. Very good band. Looking forward to Road Shows Vol 2 coming out in Sept.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts