Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Barbican is the best place to get tickets. First time I saw Sonny there I had to pay a massive booking fee to Ticketmaster. The £50 tickets are hard to spot and they're not such great seats. The £10 have gone and the £35 are right at the back but I saw Brecker from back there and remember it as a great show. The £50 tickets are in the circle, rows JHG, mostly to the right but with 2 in the middle of row H on the left. At least they were 2 minutes ago. Somebody is definitely overcharging on this one, Chick Corea costs £25/30.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If they can price Corea cheaper, who decides so much for Sonny? Maybe it's not the Barbican after all. Here's another example:-

John Dankworth and his band at the Pizza Express Maidstone (they hardly have any 'names'). £29 a seat. A local jump/jive band that does the rounds in Kent is 'Hullaballo' and they are £12. Yes, Dankworth commands more money than some local band but is this the artist's price or the establishment? Nevertheless, I've booked for Dankworth!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
bobcat said:
(A cab driver writes ...) It's supply an' demand, innit? The invisible 'and of the market ... ;)
Sonny Rollins
Arlene Schnitzer Hall
Portland, OR
September 21, 2007
Friday 8:00 pm Section: ORCH C Row: C $164

Kenny G.
Arlene Schnitzer Hall
Portland, OR
June 22, 2007
Friday 8:00 pm Section: ORCH C Row: A $245

This spring I saw tickets for Sonny's Massey Hall Toronto concert going for $230, at which point I raced to pay $45 to see him at Dartmouth(NH):cool:

·
Registered
Yani s6/800 sc800 A990B A991S A991 p maurit pmxa 67 url , Antigua power bell, Vito specia T991 T901
520 Posts
saxplayer67
forget Ronnies - I'm not going there ever again, thieving mongrels!

David Sanborn in July £75 a ticket and that doesn't Guarntee a seat you
have to pay an additional £22 minimum for a meal

·
Registered
587 Posts
saxplayer67 said:
forget Ronnies - I'm not going there ever again, thieving mongrels!
I got my credit card skimmed in Ronnies. We'd had a few beers with a meal, and they "forgot" to charge me for the drinks with the card machine at my table.
A few minutes later they were back:
"if we could just borrow your card again sir, we'll sort it out at the back of the club and leave you to enjoy the music". And I, half cut, fell for it.
That's the only time that card;s ever been out of my posession.

i get taken for a small shed load of money on my next card bill, declare fraud, the CC company eventually takes the hit & I get refunded.

Thieving F#ckers. :evil:

And i don't think Ronnie's owners have any idea what's going on. :?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Well. As someone who's been taken for a ride by Ronnie's staff, it's your responsibility to let them know. To try to make sure it doesn't happen to others.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST LEGENDS GOING TODAY- If you play tenor saxophone you should make it a point to hear him live ASAP. If you didn't shame on you.

There is three types of saxophone virtuosity IMHO:) :1. the blow-you-out-of-the-water type, with such outrageous technique and flair as to drop jaws, 2. the totally natural type, whose effortless mastery astounds not by sheer brilliance. 3.the hard-won type,most ofen THE LEGEND, where subtlety & nuance dominate, and which in the end may be the most rewarding of all.
Then there's the extremely rare player who combines all three, that would be Sonny Rollins!!!!!:!:

This week my Rollins CD choice is the music from ALFIE.
Next week.......Who knows! :shock: :D

Also one of the greatest rock sax solos ever on " Waiting For A Friend" by the STONES.

GO HEAR HIM- It's not a choice- it's a life decision musically.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.