Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was there too. Last row of the balcony, but worth it nonetheless. His tone was more impressive than some of the more recent live stuff I've heard. It did kind of get a little stale at times with the rest of the band. I kind of felt that I was listening to the same thing over and over again. Sonny showed that he can still do it with the best of them.

I had the opportunity to meet Bob Cranshaw briefly after the concert. He seems like a very cool guy and certainly doesn't look like he's in his mid-70's.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
sonnymobleytrane said:
Yeah I thought the band was hard to listen to at times it was like they weren't in the pocket. And I didn't like the way sonny kind of handed off the solos by playing a little. But how about his time when he was trading first with the drummer and then the percussionist
That was cool.

I loved how Sonny was still all over the stage, even with the (I'm guessing) hip trouble. And he ripped off a few nice blues choruses on Tenor Madness. A few people around me were a little upset that he didn't do as many of the old Sonny tunes...Well he's been doing this kind of stuff for 30+ years now, it's not a huge shock that he didn't come out and do a set of Valse Hot, St. Thomas, Tenor Madness, and Oleo.

One guy on the way down from the balcony was questioning whether he could play over bop tunes anymore. Of course Sonny can still eat up whatever changes you throw in front of him. He's doing what he wants to do!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd love to hear him do one more solo concert...I think it would be unbelievable. I might fly across the country to see that.

What did you think of the acoustics/sound system? I don't know where you were sitting, but from where I was in the second balcony there were times where Broom and Cranshaw were inaudible and a couple of moments with Sonny too.

I guess the bottom line for anyone who reads this should be that Sonny still has total command over the horn and plays brilliantly. See him if you can.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah they did have that reverberating kind of thing going on.

That theater is really nicely suited to opera, though it doesn't get used for it very much (if ever.) I saw a dress rehearsal for Le Nozze di Figaro there and it was absolutely perfect for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts