Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Sonny Rollins play last night at SUNY in Purchase NY. Even as he ages and with what looks like a bad Hip he is still Sonny. Listening to him especially on Ballads his tone seemed to be less harsh than in recent years. Actually I thought it was quite beautiful.
If there was any negative for me it was his band. Although great players like Bob Cranshaw and Bobby Broom are in the Band I found when Sonny wasn't playing it was quite dull. I could have stood for more Sonny and less solos by everyone else. The ensemble stuff with Clifton Anderson and Sonny playing together was really impressive especially the intonation.

Some funny Sonny-Isms a quote of "The Old Gray Mare......"
and after The encore he opened with the old Hank Williams song "If You Only Loved Me Half as Much as I Love you."

All said an enjoyable night out.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was there too. Last row of the balcony, but worth it nonetheless. His tone was more impressive than some of the more recent live stuff I've heard. It did kind of get a little stale at times with the rest of the band. I kind of felt that I was listening to the same thing over and over again. Sonny showed that he can still do it with the best of them.

I had the opportunity to meet Bob Cranshaw briefly after the concert. He seems like a very cool guy and certainly doesn't look like he's in his mid-70's.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Damn, I wish I had known about this show....

Have you guys seen the latest Jazz Improv magazine with Sonny on the cover?

·
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I thought the band was hard to listen to at times it was like they weren't in the pocket. And I didn't like the way sonny kind of handed off the solos by playing a little. But how about his time when he was trading first with the drummer and then the percussionist

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
sonnymobleytrane said:
Yeah I thought the band was hard to listen to at times it was like they weren't in the pocket. And I didn't like the way sonny kind of handed off the solos by playing a little. But how about his time when he was trading first with the drummer and then the percussionist
That was cool.

I loved how Sonny was still all over the stage, even with the (I'm guessing) hip trouble. And he ripped off a few nice blues choruses on Tenor Madness. A few people around me were a little upset that he didn't do as many of the old Sonny tunes...Well he's been doing this kind of stuff for 30+ years now, it's not a huge shock that he didn't come out and do a set of Valse Hot, St. Thomas, Tenor Madness, and Oleo.

One guy on the way down from the balcony was questioning whether he could play over bop tunes anymore. Of course Sonny can still eat up whatever changes you throw in front of him. He's doing what he wants to do!

·
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
odsum25 said:
That was cool.

I loved how Sonny was still all over the stage, even with the (I'm guessing) hip trouble. And he ripped off a few nice blues choruses on Tenor Madness. A few people around me were a little upset that he didn't do as many of the old Sonny tunes...Well he's been doing this kind of stuff for 30+ years now, it's not a huge shock that he didn't come out and do a set of Valse Hot, St. Thomas, Tenor Madness, and Oleo.

One guy on the way down from the balcony was questioning whether he could play over bop tunes anymore. Of course Sonny can still eat up whatever changes you throw in front of him. He's doing what he wants to do!
I saw him about 15 times between 1983 and 1993 he can still do anything
I saw him At Town Hall In NYC in like 1990 that was the Greatest Saxophone displayI Ever I mean Ever saw

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd love to hear him do one more solo concert...I think it would be unbelievable. I might fly across the country to see that.

What did you think of the acoustics/sound system? I don't know where you were sitting, but from where I was in the second balcony there were times where Broom and Cranshaw were inaudible and a couple of moments with Sonny too.

I guess the bottom line for anyone who reads this should be that Sonny still has total command over the horn and plays brilliantly. See him if you can.

·
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
odsum25 said:
I'd love to hear him do one more solo concert...I think it would be unbelievable. I might fly across the country to see that.

What did you think of the acoustics/sound system? I don't know where you were sitting, but from where I was in the second balcony there were times where Broom and Cranshaw were inaudible and a couple of moments with Sonny too.

I guess the bottom line for anyone who reads this should be that Sonny still has total command over the horn and plays brilliantly. See him if you can.
I thought it was one of the most beautiful theatres I have ever been to, but I thought the drums and percussion had that high School Gym sound Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah they did have that reverberating kind of thing going on.

That theater is really nicely suited to opera, though it doesn't get used for it very much (if ever.) I saw a dress rehearsal for Le Nozze di Figaro there and it was absolutely perfect for it.

·
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
odsum25 said:
Yeah they did have that reverberating kind of thing going on.

That theater is really nicely suited to opera, though it doesn't get used for it very much (if ever.) I saw a dress rehearsal for Le Nozze di Figaro there and it was absolutely perfect for it.
Did you notice toward the end of the night when Cranshaw and Bobby Broom where standing up that the energy level seemed better?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I got my tickets for the Vancouver Jazz Festival Sonny Rollins gig in the mail from Ticketmaster this weekend. I am so stoked.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm in a bit of quandary at the moment. Sonny's playing the Barbican in London in November and tickets are £60, that's $120 at today's exchange rate. Which seems high compared with prices at other venues around the world where Sonny's due to play. I love Sonny but am choking slightly at paying that much. Plus I'll have to travel from Germany for the gig, which I wouldn't mind if I didn't feel I was getting stiffed on the tickets. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
It is a lot of money I agree. If you look at it from the point of view of going to be entertained and to see how "on" the performer is you run the risk of some dissapointment. The same if you want to judge Sonny by how he played 40 years ago.
But if you've never seen him and want to catch his vibe and his approach and his lifetime of music I don't see how you can be dissapointed. Some performers are more interesting on an offnight anyway. Hopefully there will be many more chances to see him but you never know.

·
Registered
730 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
I got my tickets for the Vancouver Jazz Festival Sonny Rollins gig in the mail from Ticketmaster this weekend. I am so stoked.
I'm gonna be there too.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
There are a few tickets for £35 still available, the £10 ones are all gone. Some £50 ones to be had as well. It does feel like somebody is milking this though unless that is to be the standard price for the good seats.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes, sorry JimD, I should have said, £60 is for the good seats, although this does seem to include most of the seats on the Barbican website and on the one or two others I've seen. I don't think I've seen any at £50. If you could recommend a website to buy tickets from I'd be grateful.

Thinking about it, I'd actually pay the £60 if I was going on my own. I think my main concern is that I'd end up going with the schoolfriend I usually stay with when I'm in London. He's only a "casual" jazz fan and was reluctant to spend the money (he's more of a Glastonbury kind of guy, thinks sitting down at gigs spoils the atmosphere ... go figure) but said he would go if I wanted to.

I'd probably be happy just watching Sonny fix his reed for an hour and a half, but I don't want the hassle of feeling responsible if my friend doesn't enjoy himself.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I've seen Sonny four times so far, over the last few years, all at the Barbican. I called the Barbican the day the tickets went on sale, as last year, I just about got two seats together but a long way back. This time, I wanted to get a bit closer in the stalls, until I was told the price. I nearly passed out. So I'm in the front row of the balcony for £35.00 + booking fee. I love Sonny, as does my fiance but the prices are terrible.

Is it the Barbican screwing us or the artists? That's why I don't go to many concerts, be they jazz or film music (my other passion) because of the rip off prices. Then the Barbican and Royal Albert Hall have the nerve to send me begging letters asking for donations for their refurbishments AND they get lottery money funding, the sonsofbitches. Also, forget Ronnies - I'm not going there ever again, thieving mongrels!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
Is it the Barbican screwing us or the artists?
I've got a feeling it's the Barbican. The top price for a ticket to hear Sonny in most other venues seems to be around the $75 mark. Good old rip-off Britain ... makes me wonder why I'm planning to move back. Still, at least all the art galleries and museums in Scotland are free.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts