Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how you forget you have someone in your iPhone music. Bought years ago and just comes out of the shuffle unexpected. Igbobs shuffle came up last night off a CD in 1979. It had that whole Tom Scott vibe to it. Great player. I think I bought him initially because I remember he played with miles. Alto and Flute Enjoy K

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Go check him out on Sahara by McCoy Tyner. One of my favorite players, on one of my favorite records by maybe my favorite piano player of all time.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I saw Sonny a few times spanning from the Sahara era to about 5 years ago with a Miles tribute. I met him one time, a very hip and gracious guy. I was sad to hear of his passing.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
There's a 3-disc set of his albums, Trilogy Collection, that includes Four In One (Monk tunes), A Better Understanding (originals), and From Now On (mostly originals). Good albums worth checking out, either in the set or individually. I especially like Four In One.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was lucky enough to see Sonny a handful of times in the 2000's at Yoshi's in Oakland. Each time he was on fire. A couple times he was there with Frank Morgan as another alto and John Hicks on piano. It was really cool seeing the two of them trading fours over countless choruses with a lot of intensity. I saw him a couple other times solo I think with Ronnie Matthews piano and Cecil McBee on bass. One of those times he blew the house down with a circular breathing solo that felt like it went on for 10 minutes but in any case it was for his entire solo on that song. I never saw anything like that before. He was even doing circular breathing on his flute!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts