Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SOTWers,

I recently completed a pass-around of a ligature design that has been pretty successful.

You can see it all here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?190803-Pass-around-Tenor-ligature

Ive also had a couple of local pros give it a check out and they both had immediate good feedback on what it does. It basically works on the principle of brass or stainless steel rails acting as the contact point running parallel to the reed vamp, in just the right spacing.

So with that, I'd like to go to the market here to let you know I'm making these for hard rubber pieces in alto, tenor, and clarinet. I don't have a backlog of inventory so response to an order might be up to a month.

Also, I'm retrofitting "your" ligatures if its a basic two-screw metal type that you would like to make more responsive and have the sound a bit more open. For metal pieces that's the way to go as the tolerances are smaller overall.

The cost for a new one (not retrofitted) is 33.50 shipped via USPS normal or a bit higher for Priority, US shipping. International is about 10. more depending

For a retrofit, it would be 28.50 shipped

I think you'll like the "cost -benefit analysis" !

Bill Trabilcy

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to note that all reviewers rightfully were concerned with construction quality, based on appearance. Rightfully so, as I now have all the testers back and they are rough looking.

That said, none had any problems in terms of durability for all the testing and shipping etc. And the latest method of assembly and construction is much neater as you can see in the photos.

I believe these are a great deal and as the reviews indicated, they consistently perform very well, especially for the cost.

I have inventory for HR alto, tenor, and clarinet contrary to the above. (For alto I have a beautiful silver Le Blanc lig and cap that would go for a higher price if interested)

HF
BT

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?190803-Pass-around-Tenor-ligature

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest testing for sound and durability confirms what you all had indicated.

This lig design works!

It is similar but not the same as another or other well known ligs. The difference is in the "contact patch" which means the contact is smaller and more focused, yet very good at clamping.

The two screw aspects lets you play a bit with the location of the tightness, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah sorry about that.

Marketing majors were always so much more thorough in their communications

To pay via paypal use: V ZE 2PT [email protected] VER I z on . net (no spaces) to make payment.

Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With High Fly's permission, I wanted to post some of my feedback that I wrote to High Fly concerning his Sonifier- OnTrack Ligature.

"After some more time with the ligature, I would like to share with you some feedback on your Sonifier ligature.

Over the weekend, I was able to use this ligature in a teaching/practice studio where I was able to compare it back to back with my current ligature (vintage Otto Link 'T' 2 screw ligature). Also, I used the Sonifier ligature on two gigs.

During the ligature comparison in the studio, the Sonifier seemed to provide a noticeably quicker response, a more focused tone, and perhaps seemed a hair brighter yet still retained the warmth. The 'T' ligature was noticeably more spread, and not as clear and focused as the Sonifier and the 'T' lig response was slower. In the upper register and the altissimo range, I felt the Sonifier performed extremely well and provided a solid resonant tone with a more easily accessible altissimo. The Sonifier ligature seemed to be quicker, I felt like I could play faster double time passages for longer phrases because and it provided a crisper transition between notes and intervals.

At the gigs, the Sonifier delivered. It provided me with improved focus and clarity even at lower volumes. In fact, I remember being able to play very soft, at a whisper quiet pp, but with a clear attack and an ability to shape the depth of sound with a round controlled vibrato at will. In fact, I do not think I've ever had as much control over nuance and vibrato on the tenor saxopone as I was allowed with the Sonifier. Intonation seemed improved too; perhaps with the tighter quicker response and increased focus, it seemed easier to hear and lock in to the core tone.

When removing the reed from the table at the end of a gig or practice session, I often look at the mouthpiece table to see if any moisture is on the table when I remove the reed. Sometimes I will find some moisture seeping through, but sometime I will see that the table is mostly dry. I have discovered that when the table is more dry or completely dry, the overall playing experience with the horn was more satisfying. It is clear that a reed with a better seal on the mouthpiece with less escaping moisture seeping through to the table, will performs better. It might be worth noting that my mouthpiece is an older piece with an inherent concave table. After both gigs with the Sonifier, the table on my mouthpiece was completely dry.

I am quite impressed with the Sonifier ligature and believe the Sonifier provides me with the best performance that I have ever experienced from any ligature. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to try out your ligature."

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for noting this thread, now very long in the tooth.

I of course, agree that my design delivers something special. I think tho, now there are others who also have taken the (old school) Bonade concept and done it better as I did. I think the Marc Jean is one of those, as I am trying to recall/picture it. It is of course about 2X or 3X what i was selling them for, but it sure is mo' pretty too. I haven't tried one, but I would think you'd get the same results/response.

If someone really just HAS to have one of mine let me know. I stopped marketing and making them a while ago, though I still use one of my second generation ones (when using an HR piece) and I really like it!

HF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts