Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique gig coming up a week from Saturday. I'm playing a wedding by myself. Solo saxophone (just me, no backing tracks) for pre-service, ceremony, and a cocktail hour. Weird gig but since it's only me, I'm getting paid more for 2 hours than I would playing for 4 hours with a full band.

I'm good for the cocktail hour, I'm just playing up beat jazz standards. I'm a strong soloist and can clearly imply chord changes without needing accompaniment. So that's not an issue.

For the ceremony, I'm playing traditional repertoire (Bridal Chorus, Wedding March, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring) and it sounds OK from a solo instrument.

For the most part, they've had the attitude of whatever I want to do is fine, giving me very little specifics and a lot of leeway.

But yesterday I got word that they wanted "Kenny G style" for the pre-service. Well, I'm not a smooth jazz guy and I really don't have any smooth jazz repertoire. So what I though I'd do is just play some pop tunes.

A couple of things that are in the real books like "You Are The Sunshine of My Life" and "Just The Way You Are". I can do Clapton's "Change the World" and Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love For Your" and "Sunny" which I've heard smooth guys do. I've even done some Burt Bacharach before. I sub in for a band that does "Over the Rainbow" and the music is a Kenny G transcription. I've played it enough to know what embellishments he used so I figured I could do that as well.

I figure I need a couple of more tunes to make a 1/2 hour plus a few extras just in case. So if anybody has some recommendations for other songs I might be able to throw together relatively quickly, I'd appreciate it. Maybe even some jazz ballads that have smooth versions I can get in my ear.

I have thought of a few songs I know but aren't lyrically appropriate (even if there will be no lyrics) for a wedding like "This Masquerade" and the Beatles' "Yesterday". I'd also rather not do my sexy sax man impression and play "Careless Whisper".

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Here, there, and everywhere (Beatles)
I dreamed a dream (from les Miserables)
Heal the world (Michael Jackson)
Diamente (Zucchero)

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,923 Posts
You're on the right track thinking about pop songs. I'd suggest going to Amazon and looking up smooth jazz CDs and see what pop songs might be included. Al Green tunes seem to work well in that genre as does Marvin Gaye. When the bride and groom leave for the honeymoon I suggest playing "Let's Get It On".

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lady in red, Autumn Leaves, Desperado (strong melody, but may be inappropriate LOL), Stranger on the shore, Always on my mind. All strong melodies, can be tastefully embellished if that is your thing.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
For a wedding pre-service, I was alway partial to "End of a Love Affair".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts