Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not sure if anyone else has been noticing this, but I've seen a rather insane number of high end vintage mouthpieces on ebay over the last few months. I'm talking high end pieces like Meyer Bros, NY, and Slant tenor and soprano pieces. Over the last few years I really saw a general decline in seeing these kind of pieces for sale on ebay but in the last little while I've seen a record number of listings popping up. Every listing of these start at $0.99 and reach somewhat retail prices by the end, they are all very well photographed and are from sellers from all over the world yet somehow all the listings seem similar in a strange way. Has anyone else noticed this? It just seems eerie and a bit fishy to me but all the listings somehow look legit.
Here's an example of one of these listings I've been seeing all over; starts at 99 cents with great photographs from a somewhat random seller. Strange!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-Bros...m=192598491532&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
So I'm not sure if anyone else has been noticing this, but I've seen a rather insane number of high end vintage mouthpieces on ebay over the last few months. I'm talking high end pieces like Meyer Bros, NY, and Slant tenor and soprano pieces. Over the last few years I really saw a general decline in seeing these kind of pieces for sale on ebay but in the last little while I've seen a record number of listings popping up. Every listing of these start at $0.99 and reach somewhat retail prices by the end, they are all very well photographed and are from sellers from all over the world yet somehow all the listings seem similar in a strange way. Has anyone else noticed this? It just seems eerie and a bit fishy to me but all the listings somehow look legit.
Here's an example of one of these listings I've been seeing all over; starts at 99 cents with great photographs from a somewhat random seller. Strange!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-Bros...m=192598491532&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
Wow, I wouldn't mind having that myself. Doesn't look fishy though. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,091 Posts
Those were cheap mouthpieces when they were made. And they made a lot of them.

Modern prices are good motivation to dig through closets, drawers etc...

That Meyer will go for more. It is the going rate. I have a hard time calling it reasonable but if you got the cash to burn it doesnt hurt my feelings.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I noticed this too recently. I also felt it seemed a little off or at least unusual. I wondered whether someone was chumming the waters with these kinds of auctions working with some shill bidders. I think people can artificially manipulate the value of things through those sorts of tactics. I'm not saying that's what's going on but it just seemed weird the flood of these auctions.

I suspect a lot of that went on in the 1st wave of the Ebay vintage mouthpiece game.

·
2,960 Posts
I think they put them up with the crazy low starting bid to get them in front of people who wouldn't even open the listing if it was starting at $900. They know it's going to go for big bucks, but they get people to spend money they might not have otherwise spent because they fell in love with the idea of the mouthpiece when they thought they had a chance of getting it for $300.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I don't think there's anything fishy going on at all. I bought a few mouthpieces from one or two of these sellers (they always have a steady supply and list one or more every few weeks, it seems). Starting bids at $0.99 when you know the market well and know that it will sell for at least a couple of hundred/thousand bucks (based on similar sales in the past 90 or so days) is a tried and true strategy and one that I myself use all the time. If I know an item is hot, I will start the bidding at $0.99. As noted above, this will attract dozens and dozens of watchers, most of whom will end up trying to outbid each other towards the end of the auction period. You often end up with a final selling price that is higher than the going market rate. If you start your auction with a high starting bid, you won't attract as many watchers to your listing and won't generate as much action.

On the other hand, for other items that are not as hot, I either start the bidding at my minimum acceptable price or don't do an auction sale at all (and instead do a fixed price listing with an option for the buyers to make a best offer -- I would start with an above market fixed price so that when the buyer and I inevitably negotiate, the final price will be somewhere at or close to market (or at least my cost inclusive of fees and shipping)).

Note also that there are a lot of jacka$$ buyers out there who bid and win auctions and then never pay up/cancel the transaction (I've encountered a few of those myself). That accounts for a lot of the relistings of items that previously sold as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Current bid at $1342. It may be the trend, but I still think that’s way too much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,590 Posts
I don't think there's anything fishy going on at all. I bought a few mouthpieces from one or two of these sellers (they always have a steady supply and list one or more every few weeks, it seems). Starting bids at $0.99 when you know the market well and know that it will sell for at least a couple of hundred/thousand bucks (based on similar sales in the past 90 or so days) is a tried and true strategy and one that I myself use all the time. If I know an item is hot, I will start the bidding at $0.99. As noted above, this will attract dozens and dozens of watchers, most of whom will end up trying to outbid each other towards the end of the auction period. You often end up with a final selling price that is higher than the going market rate.
Yepper, chum on the water...

It seems crazy to me. I’ve played enough vintage mouthpieces to know that many will need refacing - and a refaced vintage mouthpiece is usually worth less than an original with a bad facing.

There are SO many great mouthpieces available these days. A player doesn’t need to sell out “collectible” prices to get a good mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Current bid at $1342. It may be the trend, but I still think that’s way too much.
I agree it's too much (from a personal perspective), but that's still low for what this will likely end up selling for (based on comparable sales in the past 3 months, this will likely end up in the $1,700-$2,000 range). The 5's and 6's (medium chambers) are the ones that get the most money. The 4's you can get for as low as $750 (for a 4S). Small/large chambers of the 5's and 6's will go for between $1,200 - $1,500.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I agree it's too much (from a personal perspective), but that's still low for what this will likely end up selling for (based on comparable sales in the past 3 months, this will likely end up in the $1,700-$2,000 range). The 5's and 6's (medium chambers) are the ones that get the most money. The 4's you can get for as low as $750 (for a 4S). Small/large chambers of the 5's and 6's will go for between $1,200 - $1,500.
It ended up at $1,601, which is actually below what it normally goes for.

·
13,091 Posts
Yepper, chum on the water...

It seems crazy to me. I’ve played enough vintage mouthpieces to know that many will need refacing - and a refaced vintage mouthpiece is usually worth less than an original with a bad facing.

There are SO many great mouthpieces available these days. A player doesn’t need to sell out “collectible” prices to get a good mouthpiece.
Its a well known fact that if you pay WAYYY more you will play much better.

·
Registered
175 Posts

This seller tialili101 sold three slant links over the last two months. Here are some pics.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.30.29 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.30.43 am.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hate to **** on the parade folks, but those are sophisticated plastic replicas. See the fake slant thread. First hand knowledge and sandpaper is currently popping the "mint slant 7 from england" bubble we're experiencing. Also, Meyer Bros. Altos and Short shank soloists in large openings are suspect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts