Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted here that I had acquired a desired Buescher Top Hat and Cane alto and it was at the tech being repadded and regulated. I'm thrilled to have it. That is a fact. However, another TH&C that I had previously been dealing on (and that deal had fallen through) was suddenly made available to me and due to a significant character flaw (having too many saxophones) I bought it too! I don't even have it in my possession yet. Even though they're the same horn and of a similar vintage, I'll likely keep and play the one I like the most; however, I have a little buyers remorse and here is where I seek some advice. Should I put the other one in the closet and hope for an appreciation of value over the next four or five years? Or have it also rebuilt and sell it? One thing is nearly certain: it'll appreciate in value more in the closet than the money in my savings account. My wife was in agreement with the recent snap decision but she also said "...I don't want a house full of saxophones." What would have others done in this circumstance?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Don't have it rebuilt yet. Just put it in the closet and wait until you decide to sell.

But here's the deal, the appreciation you gain may not be worth the closet space you loose depending on how long you store it. If it was me, I'd probably resale it just like it is without the rebuild. Unless you are in that business, collecting saxes just to resale is not the best nor most profitable thing to dabble in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,337 Posts
As far as problems go, yours is a nice one. Either way you probably can not go yoo far wrong. The real dilemma may turn out to be that you like them both, because they will both be great and a little different. :dontknow:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,718 Posts
You won't recoup the cost of rebuilding it. The only reason to rebuild it is if you think there is a chance that it may become the better horn.

Sell the one you're not using.

I preaching what I've been practicing - I've sold my flutes, clarinets, altos, baris, and am down to one sop and one tenor. I'm thinking about selling the sop as well.

Tenor is all that matters. Getting rid of the extra gear has been liberating. I got rid of all my boutique mouthpieces as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,289 Posts
You won't recoup the cost of rebuilding it. The only reason to rebuild it is if you think there is a chance that it may become the better horn.

I preaching what I've been practicing - I've sold my flutes, clarinets, altos, baris, and am down to one sop and one tenor. I'm thinking about selling the sop as well.

Tenor is all that matters. Getting rid of the extra gear has been liberating. I got rid of all my boutique mouthpieces as well.
I'm in a similar mode but with guitars. I'm down to a strat, a 335, an Eric Clapton Martin, a Tacoma papoose, and a Jose Ramirez classical.

I know you're into guitars Dr - how many of those do you have left?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would keep one as a backup. Unless its a closet queen, I don't think you'll get what you paid for it even overhauled. On ebay I recently saw an alto TH&C go for $850 and a Super 400 alto for $525. Both looked decent, but may have needed work. Prices seem to stall around $13,000-$16,000USD. I think the market is depressed right now. Bueschers are great-but often overlooked these days. Who knows, maybe if you keep it prices will rise again.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'd sell it...no use having horns you're not playing. I pared my 22 saxophones down to 7 and have never been happier. They definitely wouldn't have appreciated over the last 4 years either, so no financial loss there.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
Prices seem to stall around $13,000-$16,000USD..
I would think so! Is anyone buying used horns for these prices??

Going back to the TH&C alto, hey Wilbur if you get one rebuilt and not the other how can you do a reasonable comparison? I guess if the one without a rebuild outplays the one with a rebuild, you'll have your answer, but not the other way around.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
One thing is nearly certain: it'll appreciate in value more in the closet than the money in my savings account.
I wouldn't bank on that (sorry for the pun)

For a start you need to factor in the cost of insurance.

Any appreciation in value will depend on how good a deal you got in the first place of course, but that will also be a factor in how much you may make (or lose) by selling it now, or rather after making the decision which one to keep.

Plus, everyone here reading this thread will know you are selling the one you thought was inferior. Get out of that one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I appreciate all your responses. Some of the replies are encouraging and others not so much; but, what's done is done, I'm the responsible party and that's the bottom line. As the "dilemma" (and it is a two horn situation) now stands, I'm going to look at the glass as half full and appreciate that I have two great horns. After reading and digesting the responses, I'll probably keep both for awhile and sell one or the other sometime in the future. I'm still excited to get the first one back from the tech too!

·
34,718 Posts
I'm in a similar mode but with guitars. I'm down to a strat, a 335, an Eric Clapton Martin, a Tacoma papoose, and a Jose Ramirez classical.

I know you're into guitars Dr - how many of those do you have left?
Damn you for asking, Fader! :twisted: "I don't know" is the short answer... "Busted" is another response.

I'll PM.

·
6,289 Posts
Damn you for asking, Fader! :twisted: "I don't know" is the short answer... "Busted" is another response.

I'll PM.
That's funny! I just somehow had a sneaking suspicion. :)

As I unload unused vintage guitars, somehow I seem to be acquiring roughly an equal value in saxes. Damn SOTW for that. (why accept responsibility when I have an easy scapegoat in the boards?). My wife is so proud as I give her guitars to ship. Little does she know that UPS & Fedex drop at the side door!

·
34,718 Posts
I've been pretty good about reducing the number of guitars as well.

I was trying REALLY hard and had it under control until last year when I got a note from a luthier with whom I had placed a commission FIFTEEN YEARS ago. He found my deposit and was ready to build my guitar. I received it in November. Was it worth waiting for? It's much like my Borgani tenor - if I had had it before, I might have sworn off even looking at other guitars.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
I managed to get down to 40 saxes on Wednesday but a craigslist gold plated Chu alto came by a mile from me for $700.......back to 41!
Saxes may not be better than money in the bank but a lot more fun.

·
6,289 Posts
I managed to get down to 40 saxes on Wednesday but a craigslist gold plated Chu alto came by a mile from me for $700.......back to 41!
Saxes may not be better than money in the bank but a lot more fun.
Ok. I get having a sax and a backup. In the 4 standard sizes that's 8. Once you add a vintage sax (and even a backup for those) now you're up to 16. How can one justify to their spouse the need for 41? I'm just asking in case I go over the number of saxes I can reasonably account for. Or perhaps you're not married?

·
824 Posts
Fader,
Bruce is not married! By his account, he has a great collection of slot car tracks and electric trains, too!

On topic, I have pared down from 12 saxophones to 6 currently. Time to sell a couple of guitars that I haven't played in a long time...

Sax Magic

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts

I hear you George - but I can't quite make the change. No problem giving up the soprano, haven't touched mine in a year, but flute, well, that's one I that gives me a lot in return.

·
2,620 Posts
I was trying REALLY hard and had it under control until last year when I got a note from a luthier with whom I had placed a commission FIFTEEN YEARS ago. He found my deposit and was ready to build my guitar.
Now THAT is a waiting list...

·
Registered
127 Posts
well, I am gonna chime not on sax, but on money here.

the dollar has been in a structural decline since around 2000. it has easily lost 25% against a basket of foreign currency (the Dollar Index) in that time. it has a long way to go yet, probably (from here as a starting point) 15-25%. The US will never climb out of it's debt hole short of outright default or significant inflation. the former is not an option as the world's reserve currency, so the latter is the most likely.

SO.. what appreciation will you get? on a 'nominal' basis, perhaps things will look good. On a 'real' adjusted for inflation basis, my guess is you will get better appreciation buying gold coins.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts