Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why I haven't noticed it before, but I just realized a couple days ago that my new SX-90 soprano doesn't have a lyre holder.

Not sure why I'm disappointed about that, since I never use it. Not like I'm ever going to play in a marching band ever again. I guess I just sort of consider it part of the normal equipment on a saxophone.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,048 Posts
I think it's fairly unusual to find a lyre holder on a modern straight soprano.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never played a straight soprano before. Why would they be different than curved or two piece sopranos?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've never played a straight soprano before. Why would they be different than curved or two piece sopranos?
I'm not sure that they're very common on curved sopranos either. It's just that the ergonomics of a lyre are pretty poor for a straight soprano and there's no really good place to put them.
I've owned 3 straight sopranos and none has had a lyre holder.

I know that Mark VI sopranos have a lyre holder slot around the back, near the thumb rest, but it's sort of awkward to use.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't the SX-90IIs with the two piece neck have the lyre hold around the neck slot where you normally would have one on an alto or tenor?

It's just something that odd that realized.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Didn't the SX-90IIs with the two piece neck have the lyre hold around the neck slot where you normally would have one on an alto or tenor?

It's just something that odd that realized.
No (see the closeup here for example).

I've never seen a soprano with the lyre holder slot at the neck. It wouldn't make sense from either an ergonomic (i.e., too close to your face, would throw balance off wildly with a lyre attached), or a structural (i.e., cantilevered weight attached to an important and vulnerable part of the horn) point of view.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was just looking at some pictures of the II series, and I saw the lyre holder by the neck strap hook. Not sure how that would even work.

I always though that the lyre holder would be a good place to mount a wireless microphone, point down the length of the horn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts