Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting - out of print - book on ebay right now, and the seller won't sell to non-US residents. Item number: 120749127666
"Rare Vintage Claude Humber Book on Sax and Clar MP's"

As it is out of print and the author is dead, it can't be wrong for a buyer to scan it and make it available on the internet. Besides myself, who live in Denmark, I am sure a lot of SOTW fellows would be interested in reading this book.
I hope one of you will bid and buy it for all of us to see. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Tell me how much you'd like to bid and I'll proxy for you. Cover the extra shipping cost to Denmark and it's yours (assuming a successful bid).

FWIW, I don't believe in sniping. I'll enter the amount you say and then walk away from the auction until it's done.

PM me with details so as not to publicly divulge your bid amount.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...i love this forum!!! sometimes its just darn frustrating over here

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Very interesting - out of print - book on ebay right now, and the seller won't sell to non-US residents. Item number: 120749127666
"Rare Vintage Claude Humber Book on Sax and Clar MP's"

As it is out of print and the author is dead, it can't be wrong for a buyer to scan it and make it available on the internet. Besides myself, who live in Denmark, I am sure a lot of SOTW fellows would be interested in reading this book.
I hope one of you will bid and buy it for all of us to see. :)
The author may be dead but copyrights transfer.

Not that I really care. The laws need to be re-written on copyrights for a number of reasons...

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me how much you'd like to bid and I'll proxy for you. Cover the extra shipping cost to Denmark and it's yours (assuming a successful bid).

FWIW, I don't believe in sniping. I'll enter the amount you say and then walk away from the auction until it's done.

PM me with details so as not to publicly divulge your bid amount.
I just sent a PM. Thank you for your helpfulness.

·
32,936 Posts
Got it, Peter.

If anyone else is bidding, please don't.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I have a copy. This book has so much misinformation in it would be a disservice to make it widely available IMO.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also have a copy of this book. Claude worked on some mouthpieces for me years ago. For many years Claude was one of THE guys for mouthpiece work. A lot of big name players used him. He showed me a tattered old ledger where he had recorded all of the information (measurements) on most of the mouthpieces he had worked on over the years including some for people that are HUGE in the saxophone world. I often wonder what happened to that ledger.

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a copy. This book has so much misinformation in it would be a disservice to make it widely available IMO.
Well, maybe I should reconsider. Or I could still buy it and then burn it. Thanks for the comment, Keith.

·
32,936 Posts
If we win the auction, I can save you shipping costs by burning it here - we've a forest on fire nearby so it wouldn't be much trouble. :twisted:

I got your PM. No worries.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
This book has so much misinformation in it would be a disservice to make it widely available IMO.
Even with the mis-information, I would be interested in seeing it just to see how he was thinking in those days. Maybe we could put a warning on the front in block letters like on cigarettes.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I pulled it out and skim read the Humber again. It is more of a large pamphlet than a book. It is not as bad as I had remembered. But what is correct (and incorrect) in it is largely common knowledge via the forums these days. Back when it was written, most of this info was shared between players and not widely available.

Woodwind Mouthpiece Selection, a book by Bob Scarff is decent for the basics. Most of what he writes about is available on the forums. But the content is more in line with modern wisdom.

There are not a lot of books out there on mouthpieces. There are some articles and technical papers. What is out there is hit/miss. I have a list of some of the literature I have found at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MouthpieceWork/links/Literature_001028552580/

I'm not sure if you need to be a member of the group to see this list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a copy of this book. Claude worked on some mouthpieces for me years ago. For many years Claude was one of THE guys for mouthpiece work. A lot of big name players used him. He showed me a tattered old ledger where he had recorded all of the information (measurements) on most of the mouthpieces he had worked on over the years including some for people that are HUGE in the saxophone world. I often wonder what happened to that ledger.
Claude Humber wrote several other pamphlet books. I have them filed away somewhere. If I can find them, I'll post the titles. In addition to refacing, he also made mouthpieces. I have several Claude Humber branded mouthpieces. He made my alto mouthpiece as a copy of one he did for Art Pepper. My clarinet mouthpiece is a copy of one that he made for Benny Goodman and he engraved "B.G." on the side of the mouthpiece. Both of those are still my main players because I haven't found any other mouthpieces that I like better.

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So - did you win it?
Yes, it looks so. Dr. G. bid 44 dollars on my behalf before we agreed to give it up. A bid of 44 dollars won the auction, but I am not 100% sure it is Dr. G. Waiting for confirmation.

·
32,936 Posts
Peter (and everyone watching), you asked me to bid some value substantially higher than that. I put a tentative bid of $43 in to see how fast it was going to go up. When you told me that you lost interest in the auction after reading the commentary here, I bid no further. I believe I did PM you when you asked to rescind our agreement that I had bid $44 - that was a weak recollection on my part and I apologize.

We (you) did not have the high bid and we'll never know how high it might have gone.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
us ebay is the EASIEST country to create an ebay account..... just get one for yourself build it up slowly ,buying items that people DO ship internationally...and then you wont have to ask anyone else to do this for you again!!! most of the time...even if an item is only available in the US if you do win it,you can convince the seller to ship international.....

there are actually companies now that specialize in this due to the now prohibitively high prices of shipping...... you have your purchases sent to them and then when your ready,they combine your items to ship to you....... this is also,of course helpful to have them ship International to you.... anyone know of any such companies????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts