Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a conversation the other day where someone was looking for a nice C melody for a reasonable price. For some reason I can't find the posts.

I happened to see one on Craigslist in Cupertino, CA. This is in the San Francisco Bay Area. This isn't my sax and I have no interest in it other than to pass along the info to the community. It looks like a really clean horn with new pads from what I can tell by the pictures. Here's the link to whomever may be interested: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/d/cupertino-cgconn-melody-saxophone/6979361283.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,127 Posts
It was new member Keshr. That’s a pretty nice looking horn and seems reasonable if it is indeed playable! New mouthpiece, too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the thread was taken down or what but I couldn't find it. Hopefully Keshr will see it. I can't see any dings or dents and the finish looks to be mostly okay. If I wanted a C Melody I'd definitely drive to the Bay Area and give it a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Since it is a low serial number, curved neck and gold plated keys, I would make sure it is not a high pitch horn.

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
That IS a nice horn! Its about a 22 3/4 hour drive each way from Ubiquitous... :cry:

Thank you for posting this over on the other thread. mdavej asked to for a heads up on horns I have to pass on. This one is, alas, too far away.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, guys, for my stupidity, but did Conn produce c-melody with curved necks? Only straight. In my opinion this is a tenor.
If there was a photo of the serial number, then we would see exactly what was there: “C” or “B”.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Recently rebuilt, looks like a time capsule, at $400? Gotta be a high pitch. Or a scam, bait-n-mug attempt.
The price is low for a rebuilt horn indeed.
Maybe he took that horn for free and he overhauled it himself so he has still some profit margins?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think I was the guy who was looking originally and prompted this thread. I missed out on this one, but found a real gem the other day from another member here for a great price. My 20 year search is finally over. She looks and plays like a dream. Somebody put a lot of money into this thing - complete overhaul, beautiful relacquer, all new pads, corks and felts. I just had to fix a few leaks and make a few minor adjustments.

Low pitch, 1925, Conn New Wonder II. Even came with a C melody mouthpiece (but I prefer my tenor pieces). Case is even in decent shape and has no musty smell. Behold:
20191112_184328 (2).jpg

·
Registered
C-Melody
79 Posts
I think I was the guy who was looking originally and prompted this thread. I missed out on this one, but found a real gem the other day from another member here for a great price. My 20 year search is finally over. She looks and plays like a dream. Somebody put a lot of money into this thing - complete overhaul, beautiful relacquer, all new pads, corks and felts. I just had to fix a few leaks and make a few minor adjustments.

Low pitch, 1925, Conn New Wonder II. Even came with a C melody mouthpiece (but I prefer my tenor pieces). Case is even in decent shape and has no musty smell. Behold:
View attachment 249632
Congrats! and welcome to the world of the C-Mel. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts