Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Yep, a good buy. However, it's hard to sell baris without low A and this was a pawn shop, so maybe it doesn't really play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Agreed, that wasn't so good of a deal.

It was lacquered post-factory at some point and there's no telling what's wrong with it. The Crook was a very common location of damage to those horns and there is only that one pic. Things like this often find themselves into the hands of a pawn-broker because the owner wasn't a player and wouldn't have maintained it.

No serial# so you can't date it, and the earlier ones in particular had some accoustical issues that takes some ingenuity to resolve.

$400 would have been my thinking on this one

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Yeah, by not bad I actually meant not good either; and perhaps downright terrible. But you know me... softening the blow a bit. :bluewink: That bottom bow does look like it had been crumpled at some point. Just hope the tone holes are okay down there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
No serial# so you can't date it, and the earlier ones in particular had some acoustical issues that takes some ingenuity to resolve.
Yup...I really would never touch a split-bell Buescher Bighorn. For this exact reason...within a serial # range, they have odd tendencies of certain notes being unstable, even if the horn is fully regulated and sealing well.....can be frustrating.

I also agree, nowhere does it say it plays up and down, so it likely doesn't. If the buyer isn't expecting to put another $200+ into it, they may very likely be pretty bummed.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts