Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody -

I just got back from the shop my new 1971 MK VI Bari. (awesome deal from ebay -woot!).

Anyway - I currently (soon to be used to) play a Martin with a Brilhart Levelair 5* that works great (using fibrecell 2-1/2 reeds).

I've spent the last several hours checking out various mp's and am having "issues" with the intonation. I'm sure it's partly 'cause it's a new horn to me.

Basically - if I tune to the 2nd G (Concert Bb), everything else is sorta sharp - especially the palm keys . . .

I've tried the following:
1. Berg Lawson 115-1 M (requires too much air - too bright!)
2. Selmer C* Scroll long shank (not enough oomph - feels like its gonna close off)
3. Selmer C* Modern type -feh.
4. Bambler Jazz 7 (Pulled outta the drawer) - Intonation all over the place!
5. Trusty old Brilhart - intonation issues
6. Unmarked Runyon (I can tell it's a Runyon - 'cause the ligature has an R on it - and it looks like one!) - plays the best intonationwise - but feels sorta stuffy.

I have a swing band (old style - Ie Glen Miller and the Count) gig this Friday. I'm probably going with the Runyon or the Brilhart.

Between now and the day after tomorrow - I'ma gonna decide between da Runyon and de brilhart.

I guess I'm looking for some advise as to what MP has worked best for youse guyz.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would look into medium chamber Meyers and rubber Otto Links. Very flexible tonally and easy to tune.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Gotta echo Bill here (almost) - I had a killin' RPC .105(R) that would go from a singin' solo voice (Mulligan) to funky on a wide variety of horns (baris from Buescher, Conn, Yanagisawa, and Selmer).

Give Ron a call - bari is his main instrument.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2019
980 Posts
yea i saw that horn on ebay and in person. The pawn shop that sold it was around my area and i went to go test it out. I didn't bid on it. But my RPC 110B played in tune throughout the whole range down to low C. couldnt play any lower because of the leaks. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hey everybody -

I just got back from the shop my new 1971 MK VI Bari. (awesome deal from ebay -woot!).

Anyway - I currently (soon to be used to) play a Martin with a Brilhart Levelair 5* that works great (using fibrecell 2-1/2 reeds).

I've spent the last several hours checking out various mp's and am having "issues" with the intonation. I'm sure it's partly 'cause it's a new horn to me.

Basically - if I tune to the 2nd G (Concert Bb), everything else is sorta sharp - especially the palm keys . . .

I've tried the following:
1. Berg Lawson 115-1 M (requires too much air - too bright!)
2. Selmer C* Scroll long shank (not enough oomph - feels like its gonna close off)
3. Selmer C* Modern type -feh.
4. Bambler Jazz 7 (Pulled outta the drawer) - Intonation all over the place!
5. Trusty old Brilhart - intonation issues
6. Unmarked Runyon (I can tell it's a Runyon - 'cause the ligature has an R on it - and it looks like one!) - plays the best intonationwise - but feels sorta stuffy.

I have a swing band (old style - Ie Glen Miller and the Count) gig this Friday. I'm probably going with the Runyon or the Brilhart.

Between now and the day after tomorrow - I'ma gonna decide between da Runyon and de brilhart.

I guess I'm looking for some advise as to what MP has worked best for youse guyz.
Your problem is that you're playing all mouthpieces that are just unsuitable or just really bad mouthpieces. I'll venture to say that most common and readily available mouthpieces are pretty bad. The best thing I've ever played, not including my own or the custom Links that I used to make are Yanigasawa's either the metal or hard rubber. Try both and see which one you prefer. There's a few good Bergs too but they're few and far between and except for a few bari mouthpieces the rest stick as far as I'm concerned. Rubber Links can be okay but when you start going beyond a 7 they start to get really dark and stuffy because as they get more open Link makes their facings longer which forces you to put a harder reed on it and that can make it even darker.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lfandwhenwerise -
Yep - That's the one. She's a beauty, original honey-gold Lacquer. I had Sax Quest re-pad the upper stack. There were some other regulation issues, and the bell was outta wack.

Still - even after the work ($$ Sheesh!) - it was a great deal.

Phil -

Wow - tell us what you really think!!! Seriously - thanks for taking time to reply. I'm Honored. Thanks for the tip on the Yani's - I actually play a metal yani on soprano, which works really well for me.

I ended up playing the gig with a borrowed Meyer HR #7 small chamber- which I could keep the intonation inline. I'm not quite happy with the response/tone, but was good enough in a pinch. Now that I have a serious horn - I guess I need to do a serious MP search . . . So Phil - ya got any of yer pieces just laying around, gathering dust, looking for a home, maybe blemished, think'n of tossing in the trash......heh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts