Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there :hello2:,

I'm surprised that no thread has the word "wax" in the title... so here it goes!

I don't know much about sax lacquers/finish, but I have an old sax with no lacquer. Some parts are becoming red (not good, right?).

What I'm thinking is to clean it thoroughly (with brasso or whatever) and then apply wax... the thing is that I love beeswax. Do you think it's a good idea? The other thing is that I don't really like chemical products and petroleum-based waxes/oils. I read in another post that somebody uses olive oil. Incidentally, my cork grease is: beeswax+olive oil (just like my chapstick for dried lips!)... do you think that'll do on my sax?

More general question: What does "waxing" really involve?

Thanks,
-Qwerti.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
First, how about tell us what you mean by beeswax. Pure beeswax, as far as my experience goes, is a solid, rather gooey substance, as used for making the surface of surfboards sticky and grippy. Definitely not a nice feel for the surfaced of a sax, and it would be very prone to collecting dust.
And how would you apply it?

I assume this is NOT what you are writing about.

If you want to protect bare brass, then polycrystalline wax is probably better. (Google "renaissance wax")

Also, carnauba wax based products tend to offer a good, non-sticky surface. The surface of candy such as Pebbles or Smarties are coated with this.

Many players use silicone polishes.

If you do a site search on these words you will find other threads that discuss the topic.

Really, lacquer does a pretty good job of protecting the surface of brass.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,335 Posts
Wax is not a good idea, since it can migrate. Wax on your pads will be a nightmare of epic proportions...

Toby

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't know what I was talking about, indeed, that's actually why I started this thread.

So I did some research about renaissance wax and carnauba wax... I don't know yet what I'm going to choose. Anyways, thanks a lot for giving me some clues about all that!

Regarding lacquer: I don't want a shiny horn, and I don't want to pay anybody to do some lacquer anyways.

Cheers,
-Qwerti

1 - 4 of 4 Posts