Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read many articles, looked at a number of cases and I am just hoping for
some real world first hand experience as I need a new case for my 110k Mark VI. I would love
to buy a Bam Cabine case but the latches look very shoddy, even got a close up pic from the
manufacturer and don't like what I see.

I am considering waiting on the new WJ cases from Brian or buying an Ambassador case from
BSS but those will both be almost $500 with shipping, was hoping to be more in the $300 range.
Thinking of the BAM softpack case which doesn't use the latches, but not too sure about the quality.

I don't fly with my horn really at all, play in a number of different bands and so it would get
out and about a good bit but doesn't really get too abused, so would appreciate any recommendations
you have to give. One caveat I would appreciate it if you have first hand use of the case you would
recommend, thanks a bunch. Jay.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I am not interested in a Hiscox case at all, had my alto fall about 3 foot in the case and needed about $200 worth of work
after, there is just too much room for the horn to move around in those cases.

· Registered
9,958 Posts
I've been pleased with my SKB Pro case - contoured, nylon pocket on the outside, slot for the neck inside so you don't have to stick the neck down inside the bell. Catches are big and sturdy.

I don't play a Selmer so you'd have to check the fit.

· Registered
915 Posts
If you don't plan on flying much, check out the Bam Trekking case. It has padding that holds both your sax and neck firmly so they don't bounce around, there are backpack straps, they're light, and there's plenty of space to carry all your stuff. My main critique of the case is that there isn't any type of additional security in case the zipper breaks. Even a simple velcro strap like on Protec cases would likely be sufficient to prevent a catastrophic zipper failure from be catastrophic to your horn. If you look on the used market, you can find them for under $300.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,423 Posts
I've been pleased with my SKB Pro case - contoured, nylon pocket on the outside, slot for the neck inside so you don't have to stick the neck down inside the bell. Catches are big and sturdy.

I don't play a Selmer so you'd have to check the fit.
I carried my VI in one of those for years. It fell out of a truck, about 3' to the concrete pavement - with no damage to the case or sax. Still, I prefer the Pro Tec wood shell/padded nylon exterior contoured cases. For one thing, the hard-shell cases scoot around like crazy instead of staying put, which is exactly what caused my SKB case to fall out of the truck when the door was opened, and is one of the reasons I prefer the Pro Tec. I've been using these for 30 years without any kind of failure. If you have detected some overlap in my case use, you're right - I have two tenors - a MK VI and a USA. So I am all Pro Tec now on alto, tenors and baritone. I would use one on soprano but there are no aftermarket cases for the Asian 'saxellos'.
On the subject of stability while getting the sax out of the case or putting it away, the latest version of the Pro Pac wood-shell contoured case has a flat bottom side instead of the 'fiddle case bow' of the originals, which helps keep the case from tipping back when you remove the sax. With the hard-shell cases, the problem is the case scooting around on the table while you're trying to open it with one hand while holding your horn.
Moreover, the newest version of the Pro Pac has better cushioning and fits a MK VI particularly well.

· Registered
4,283 Posts
Get a Cabine. Latches are a non-issue. Great compact and protective case. That’s what I use on my Mark VI.
Softpacks are fine too but bulkier. And zippers have their cons as well.

For another reference look at Bob Reynolds review when he first got his Cabine. He raised some of similar concerns. But then in all subsequent videos you can see he’s been using it all along for a while now. BetterSax just posted a video inspecting Bob’s (pretty entertaining BTW) in the Cabine.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,823 Posts
I had BAM Cabine case - didn't care for the lack of storage space. I have, and like, the BAM SoftPack case. Its storage is just enough for my needs, and I get along fine with the zipper closure. FWIW, the standard BAM Cabine and SoftPack cores are molded to fit a Selmer Mk VI.

I had a Hiscox Artist case, and didn't care for the outer contour when carrying it by its handle, and also don't like the one-size-fits-none interior.

Edit: Guto comments that zippers have their issues too. I agree that zipper failures are common to the old Selmer cases, but I do not recall hearing about zipper failures on the BAM cases. The Selmer zippers were made with metal teeth, and the BAM zippers are a much-improved nylon style

· Registered
4,283 Posts
Edit: Guto comments that zippers have their issues too. I agree that zipper failures are common to the old Selmer cases, but I do not recall hearing about zipper failures on the BAM cases. The Selmer zippers were made with metal teeth, and the BAM zippers are a much-improved nylon style
My personal grip with zippers is that you can't tell wether the case is zippered all around before lifting it. I once grabbed a SoftPack with a Selmer inside while the case was unzippered. The sax took a tumble to ground and cost me good money to get straightened back.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,823 Posts
My personal grip with zippers is that you can't tell wether the case is zippered all around before lifting it. I once grabbed a SoftPack with a Selmer inside while the case was unzippered. The sax took a tumble to ground and cost me good money to get straightened back.
Ouch! Understood.

I grew a habit many years ago, that if the lid is down, the closures - zipper or latches - are shut. On the BAM SoftPack there are two zipper pulls: I use them such that both ends are adjacent to the handle when shut. That way, I confirm that the zipper is shut each time I reach for the handle.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Here's to hoping that it never happens again - regardless of case.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
4,283 Posts
I believe the Cabine comes with their new latch (despite what shows on the picture), while the Stage uses the older version, arguably more prone to opening unintentionally (discussed plenty in other threads). If you care about this stuff, you want to ask them to confirm before buying.

3,663 Posts
I had a cabine with a previous horn and I really liked it. I had no issues with the latches and it was a quality item for sure. It didn't have much storage space, but I don't usually carry much in my case anyway.

I currently have a Bam Classic for my '37 Aristocrat. It's a wonderful case. It's not as protective as my hiscox, so I wouldn't take it on a plane, but for daily use it's a godsend. Really nice backpack straps, loads of storage space, and a great interior that cradles my horn in a stable position. It's also one of the lightest on the market. You probably wouldn't like the fact it's zipped instead of latched, but it is a great case.

I also have a couple of Hiscox cases. The artist is definitely better quality and nicer than the standard version. It has higher quality latches and a much nicer interior. It's a great case with plenty of storage, but I always found mine a little annoying to carry around. It's just not very comfortable.

3,592 Posts
I really love my Softpack. It fits my Mark VI like a glove, is light, feels protective (haven't dropped it and don't have plans to) and has just enough storage in the little compartment for some reeds, neckstrap, swab, cork grease plus whatever you can fit in your bell bag. As someone who regularly takes the bus and subway with my tenor, it really ticks all the boxes for me.

· Registered
2 Posts
Have 3 bam cabine, love all of them. Comparedto the softpack they are more comfortable to carry (backpack style) and last longer.
Latches are not shoddy at all, but I can understand the sensation, before buying the first one I thought the same.
Anyway, the last one i bought, the “brushed aluminium”, has 4 bigger and more functional (have a look). It is an important upgrade, love it. It costs a little more, but we are talking about a mkvi 110xxx....give him a proper house!

· Registered
S: Antigua Powerbell; A: Martin Comm III; T: Buffet SDA
118 Posts
I use a Bam Trekking for my Buffet SDA...It's a great case. Fits my Buffet well but I believe BAM did their molds from the MKVI so it should fit yours even better. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BAM. I like the Trekking because it has quite a bit of storage space, but based on my experience I would go with the Cabine out of the two you provided.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.