Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laura is one of my favorite tune. My combo wants our horn players do to the standard solo ballad tune. I would like to add Laura to my list. Anyone have any really nice recordings of it?

I have Parker playing it on parker with strings, Branford playing it on soprano on Loved Ones, Frankie singing it on Sinatra Sings his Greatest Hits, Gerry Mulligan playing it on The Gerry Mulligan Quartetes in Concert, Sonny Stitt on Verve Jazz Masters, and Stefano Di Battista playing it on Parker's mood. Any other really great recordings?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Yes - Sydney Bechet recorded it in the late 50s in Paris. My mum has it on 45, but it must be available commercially.

And of course there's the definitive version by Spike Jones!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lovano - Tenor Legacy and On this Day - Live at the VV - Both incredible. You can tell that it's one of Lovano's all time favorite standards

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a Paris recording from Don Byas, 1952, together with Art Simmons, Joe Benjamin and Bill Clark.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Grumpie said:
I have a Paris recording from Don Byas, 1952, together with Art Simmons, Joe Benjamin and Bill Clark.
Click on the Myspace page, that is the recording I'm pointing him to.

·
Registered
790 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Click on the Myspace page, that is the recording I'm pointing him to.
Yep, that's the one, I missed your post while I was typing and my computer is multitasking at the moment so not up to speed on the page-refreshments. Actually I have the complete "Jazz in Paris, Laura" cd in front of me now. 18 wonderful recordings.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Oops Mike,

I just went back and read the footnotes to the JAZZ IN PARIS album, and I appear to have taken the quote out of context:

"During his first trip to France, Don had recorded a few sides (Under the corporate name of "Don Byas and His Re-Boppers), for a small label called Blue Star, owned by a pianist, band-leader and unrepentant Jazz lover named Eddie Barclay. With his a trio behind him, the tenor had recorded the theme for Otto Preminger's classic movie "Laura". Don Byas breathed a softly provocative sensuality into the melody that was a perfect musical balance for the screen heroine played by Gene Tierney. That was all it took for Don Byas to be recognized (rightly so) as the ideal ballad-player"

Obviously a mere cursory reading and fuzzy memories led to my misinformation!

My apologies.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mike. I like that recording. I'll probably transcribe it this week and internalize some of the licks and the like.

Any other recordings? Preferably on alto, since it is the horn I'll be playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
thats what i thought, its a great recording though. i think he may have been the first person to cover the tune.

its a great movie if you haven't seen it and like that film noir sort of stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
I know this seems daft, but I really like the vocal version by Julie London, on the "Julie is her name" album. Features lovely jazz guitar by Barney Kessel, so dont feel like you are going all "easy listening".

It is nice to get those words off pat to help with your own interpretation, and this version will help you with that.

In fact, the whole album is full of standards, very useful.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
mike_s said:
thats what i thought, its a great recording though. i think he may have been the first person to cover the tune.

its a great movie if you haven't seen it and like that film noir sort of stuff.
Hi Mike,

Yes, I must confess I've seen it many times (I too am a big Film Noir fan), and have no excuse for getting that wrong. Early senility is likely to blame for my error.;)

Cheers.

·
983 Posts
no need to apologize......

another great recording of this tune is the eric dolphy version which is on one of the live in europe LP's, (i think volume 2 but it could be volume 3).

there is a sinatra recording of a gordon jenkins arrangement, i think the lp is "where are you", but i'm not definite.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
The Spike Jones recording is HILARIOUS.

·
983 Posts
too bad shatner didn't record it, it might have been a great vehicle for his thing.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Hi Mike,

Yes, I must confess I've seen it many times (I too am a big Film Noir fan), and have no excuse for getting that wrong. Early senility is likely to blame for my error.;)

Cheers.
Maybe we need a film noir thread. I just saw The Big Heat on TCM yesterday. Ooooh, Glenn Ford must have been a really, really tough guy to make Lee Marvin quake in his boots.

As I was saying about Laura, I really like the Sydney Bechet version.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ray Charles from "Dedicated to You". All the tunes are female names. One of my dogs is named after "Hard Hearted Hannah" from that album.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
chitownjazz said:
Maybe we need a film noir thread. I just saw The Big Heat on TCM yesterday. Ooooh, Glenn Ford must have been a really, really tough guy to make Lee Marvin quake in his boots.

As I was saying about Laura, I really like the Sydney Bechet version.
Sounds intriguing. Not only does this topic stand on it's own, but coincidentally many of these movies had at least some Jazz incorporated into their soundtracks. I have a rather entertaining book devoted to that very subject: "JAZZ IN THE MOVIES A Guide to Jazz Musicians 1917-1977" By David Meeker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts