Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 59xxx "Kohlert" engraved tenor early this year with the intention of rebuilding and selling it, but it has such a sweet core to its otherwise darkish sound I may not be able to let it go (one of my fatal flaws).

It has offset stacks, a fairly standard feature on modern Selmers and their analogues, but I've never seen that on older German horns or even the more-modern Keilwerths.

The neck has the same beveled ring on the corked (mouthpiece) end that I've seen on modern B&S horns (CJS, Medusa, etc). Additionally, the neck octave pip has a two-stage bore. The upper half (underneath the pad) is wider, and the lower or inner bore is about half as wide. (I can't tell but I assume it flares out wider again inside the neck).

Kohlert seems to have been an innovator with these small acoustic mods.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
The kohlerts had the offset stacks as early as the Winnendens I think. That would be early 50's. Maybe on earlier models as well. keilwerths of the same era do not.Selmer was doing this earlier I think? Kohlert was not shy about borrowing ideas from other companies now and then. My Kohlert 55's have a mushroom shaped octave pip. Never removed one to look closer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts