Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
dang

Is that a 10M? Is the neck delacquered? He was really blowin' the heck out of it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
For more of Sal's articulative superiority check out After Youve Gone at 2:55 - typical of his virtuosity throughout that period.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm actually surprised that only 100 people read this as opposed to more than twice as many people wanted to know if you can open an S80 soprano piece. This is rare stuff with two of the most badass tenor players talking candidly on so much. I think it is a rare insight on how some of our heroes from time thought. Many of us (myself included) spend too much time looking on ebay for this kind of inspiration.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Also check out "Hallelujah Time" by the Herman Herd (the link is on the "Sister Sadie" page)....Sal and Joe Romano are just BURNING, as is the whole band.

Sal Nistico is playing a 10M....anyone still concerned about the ergonomics;) .

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Excellent point!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BarrySachs said:
WARNING: Don't shoot smack like Tubby and Sal!
Yeah man, real, real sad stuff. These guys only too typical in the lifestyle, so we all lose out because they are no longer around to listen to in the clubs etc.

I still get a kick of how much fuss some people here make in the marketplace section, but no real discussion of the players or music. I'm glad that some of you feel the same way. I NEVER get tired of stuff like this. It's the reason I'm a saxophone player!

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just found the >interview< mentioned in post #1 by coincidence and wanted to post it here on SOTW (and found out it's already there :)).

I love Texas Tenor playing with guys like Arnett Cobb and Illinois Jacquet as my big hero's and was really pleasantly surprised to read this statement (never read that before):

NISTICO: It’s like—I talked to Coltrane. He used to dig Arnette Cobb, Illinois Jacquet. Those guys have a firm foundation for what they’re doing. A lot of cats put down bebop, and they say it’s old and it’s dated, but that music’s not easy—it’s a challenge to play. You’ve got to know your instrument, your changes and what you’re doing.
It's a great read, highly recommended for those who didn't see it before (like me) :).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just found the >interview< mentioned in post #1 by coincidence and wanted to post it here on SOTW (and found out it's already there :)).

I love Texas Tenor playing with guys like Arnett Cobb and Illinois Jacquet as my big hero's and was really pleasantly surprised to read this statement (never read that before):

It's a great read, highly recommended for those who didn't see it before (like me) :).
Thank you Mr PB for reviving this thread. I hadn't read the interview. Very, very interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts