Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

I just recently got a new microphone (akg 519) which I´m pretty happy with.
This is the first piece with a decent sound etc.

There are some nasty cracking sounds in it but that´s my low-quality soundboard!

roots interweaving

Though I have used a metronome, I did not try to play 100% precise...it´s all improvised, 2 alto tracks recorded subsequently plus one "hidden instrument" in the end...

I used Audacity for the recording. The only manipulations on the sound were the standard compressing plus a rather subtle reverb effect since I recorded in a very small room...

Instrument: Keilwerth Toneking ~1980, Meyer M5M, Vandoren V16 3 (a pretty used one...)

·
1,207 Posts
I am no expert on your style, which is very modern, but I would say the tone is certainly very bright and fizzy which seems to suit. I think there are some tuning issues, although this is understandable when playing unaccompanied.

I also think that you have hit the nail on the head regarding the soundcard and audacity. I think a nice mic like this perhaps deserves a dedicated USB or Firewire audio interface with a pre-amp. You can get some very cheaply now, from well respected names.

Try and get an audio interface with two mic inputs and phantom power, because although your AKG has battery phantom, it would be great to add a second mic to catch those high notes. Clip on mics can miss the sound coming out of the top of the horn, particularly with the bigger instruments.

I have found recording myself (at least once a week) and posting it either here or on youtube a vital part of improving. Having the right gear makes it easy!

Good luck!

·
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey!
thanks, finally a comment.
I will use the mic primarily for gigs (it´s a clipmic as you know).
But of course you´re right - if I´m going to record with this any more I will have to upgrade my hardware, especially the soundcard...

I don´t know whether I will regularly post here since there are also my studies and I am already spending a lot of time playing with different groups of people...but you might hear from me, especially when I get some new hardware.

thanks and keep up your good playing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts