Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share some sound bites from a band I had started when I first moved to Fort Worth. Took a while to find all the right members for it but I think we ended up with great sound and got a chance to play across the US and even made a trip to England. I grew up listening to a lot of Big Jay, Red Prysock, etc and even shared the stage with Big Jay a handful of times. Also played with Roddy Jackson, Barbara Lynn, Roy Gaines, Young Jessie......roots R&B is a niche market but you get some good opportunities and fun times! I'm definitely not the technical player out there but I do have an ear for the style.

We recorded all songs completely live, with vocals and solos recorded on the fly, all in the same room. No over-dubs or fixes. Mic setup was one for lead vocal, two in the piano, one for upright bass, 2 or 3 for the drums(don't remember), and one for the horns. YUP! Tenor player and I SHARED a microphone for the entire album and managed our balance on the fly. We recorded 12 songs this way in a day and a half. The mic being used for the saxes is an old Altec "Coke bottle" style mic. The guy who did the recording is a huge vintage sound nut and almost all the mics we used were vintage equipment he restored himself. All acoustic recording style recorded onto an old digital drive that just had a blue counter on it but that was it. No laptops or anything else. My setup on this is same as my sig: YBS-62, Drake VRCCB1 mouthpiece, and Fibracell 2.5 reed. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. I uploaded other tunes to my soundcloud for the sole purpose of sharing it with SOTW, although I only uploaded the tunes that have bari solos or where the horns really stood out. This is a cover song off the second album, Etta James's "Tough Lover"

https://soundcloud.com/alex-hernandez-4608069%2Ftough-lover-bari-solo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,109 Posts
Damn! Thanks for sharing! Excellent playing and I really like the recording! Does the band have a social media presence we could be following?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn! Thanks for sharing! Excellent playing and I really like the recording! Does the band have a social media presence we could be following?
Thanks!
The band is actually no longer. Singer left to do other things years ago and was replaced. The band name changed but the music was similar. Kept with this second iteration of the band for a few years but it, too, became inactive after I move back to Los Angeles in May. Here's a clip of the second group doing a Wynonie Harris tune at our favorite place in Fort Worth.
https://youtu.be/8towXmlGhN8

I'm just now starting to get into the rhythm of life again after our move so I'm starting to pick up a few gigs here and there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
Maybe the best Little Richard style singing ever. Thanks for sharing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Jus' Be-oooo-ti-ful

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
Good stuff Orionsax. And yeah, I love the jump blues era. In my band we play a lot it; several Wynonnie Harris tunes, including Bloodshot Eyes, Down Boy Down, Don't Take My Whiskey Away, etc. Also some Little Richard; Rip it Up, etc. All great tunes to blow the sax on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts