Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, that's right. I DON'T have an iPhone. And I've felet a little out of the circle of cool kids. But, now I got an EVO 4G and very happy with it. And since they just came out with the iReal B for Android this weekend (with playback and transposing and EVERYTHING)! I'm all excited about the world of apps for Android phones.

SO here's what I have so far that I have found very cool and useful.

iRealB (yup it's in the marketplace and everything).
DaTuner - a really nice tuner. Freakin love it.
Mobile Metronome
Convo (like Tapatalk)
Adobe Reader
Droidian Emusic
Jazz Radio
Pandora
Jazz Life
Perfect Ear
xPiano

I know thee is more, c'mon...

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the DaTuner because it reeds the intonation and the volume. Plus it's nice to have on while I am running the metronome so I can get both readings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Good stuff folks...have to visit the Market soon. Why did it never occur to me that my Ally could be a tuner? A metronome? Probably 'cause I'm old enough to have bought vinyl new...:lol:

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say the iReal B playback feature is just invaluable. I now have band in a box everywhere I go.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like the DaTuner because it reeds the intonation and the volume. Plus it's nice to have on while I am running the metronome so I can get both readings.
Da Tuner's best feature for me is that you can select the "in-tune" range. I set mine at 10 cents either side of zero. Too narrow a range is like the "needle" tuners, where you can never get it to stop moving. At 10 cents +/-, I can tune "realistically".

·
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that is very cool. And I like the new Snark Tuners for stage. Great for settling argument with stubborn trumpet players and guitarists. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Got a question for you Android phone users. I'm going to be in the market for a newer phone here before too long. First and foremost for me is the phone itself. Gotta be a good phone (then a good pda). These apps are a secondary priority but I have to admit could be very useful.

Now my question - how long does your battery last while using these apps?

The screens on these phones are huge and suck up a lot of juice so I was wondering about your direct experience with battery life. Not the published/advertised/marketing battery life. Thanks!!

(Don't mean to derail the thread so if this question should really be its own thread let me know. This would just be some really good additional info to provide, imo.)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just sitting around, my phone drains in about 10 hrs or so. (depending what it decides to do... they seem to have a mind of there own @ times)
I would think running an app constantly would drain your battery in 3-4 hrs or so.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interval recognition is the best ear training app i've come across. Lets you train yourself to recognize the intervals between long chains of notes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These apps are awesome guys! I've been playing guitar for quite a while and is now starting to learn some jazz and got interested in the sax. It is quite nice always having a metronome and a tuner at hand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,603 Posts
For my Droid I have:

DaTuner donate version (transposition, adjustable sound per noise ratios and a bunch of other features)
Slacker radio set to 'Non-Vocal Smooth Jazz"

Looking for a good metronome program? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perfect Ear doesn't seem to have a saxophone voice. I have a windows program Functional Ear Trainer and when I set the voice to saxophone and imagined what fingering I would use to make that note, my tin ear was magically transformed into a precision instrument.

(Functional Ear Trainer is an program that plays a note and has the human user try to guess what it is)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Here's an app that's been in the news lately - that I'm not sure I would want on my smart phone. Anyone have additional insight into Carrier IQ, it's tracking capabilities, and what the carriers do with the info?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello all,

great stuff. iRealB rules! :)

Does anyone know any app similar to transcribe! ?

The purpose is to find an application that can slow down one mp3 file without changing the pitch.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
erbuncho

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I just got my new droid phone after about a year without a smart phone, and these apps are awesome. Tanpura Droid, Da Tuner and Hi Q Mp3 are all great. It's a good point though about the battery life on these phones- they do go fast when wi-fi and other apps are being run on the phone!

Now thinking whether to spring the moolah for the iReal B app which looks tremendous.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Now thinking whether to spring the moolah for the iReal B app which looks tremendous.
It is a GREAT app and well worth the $5 bucks (i think that is what i payed for it.)

it doesn't have the melodies, but it is a great tool for learning tunes

1 - 20 of 30 Posts