Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, Been hella broke lately but budgeted in a few bucks for some equipment needs this summer/ fall and I’ve been super pleased.

Phil Barone copper plated neck: Tennon fit my horn perfectly without adjustment, which is just straight up luck. I grabbed it after trialling and sending back a couple hand-selected necks Tenor Madness sent out to me with my newly adjusted horn a while back (yeah I said I’m broke...long story. Randy and the crew are awesome!!!). They were both great and different but not better IMO than my stock neck, but they made me aware of better things. Uncle Phil had a sale and I bit. I’ve really enjoyed every email, phone call, and the couple purchases I’ve experienced with Phil; he’s a wealth of knowledge. There’s an amazing made in 2000 Hollywood 7 I certainly hope someone out there is playing the **** out of! Haven’t put my other neck back on since. Everything just seems to speak easier.

10mFan red marble rubber robusto: Mark (also awesome and great to chat with regarding all things saxophone!) was having a sale and I had budgeted for a mouthpiece to possibly experiment with putting a piezobarrel pickup into. Decided to go with something very similar to the metal robusto I’ve been playing for a couple years that replaced the other metal robusto I’d played for about a year before that (another long story). Anyway, It’s a killer mouthpiece and could very easily be my everyday player if my metal one ever fails for some reason. Still haven’t decided whether to drill the mouthpiece or the stock neck for the pickup...

Balam Premier neck strap: just got this Friday and I love it. I’ve been using the jazzlab saxholder for quite a few years because it’s more comfortable and slips less than any other strap I’ve tried (tried a bunch). The Balam is way more comfortable than the saxholder and equally good at not slipping. The only thing I don’t like is the fact that the hook is metal, and I’m going to remedy that this week by putting the most excellent saxholder hook on the Balam strap: problem solved. Two gigs and a rehearsal plus some practice time this weekend and no back pain...dig it.

Hiscox pro ii case: this was unplanned but necessary, and our insurance paid for it anyway...loading up the tour van with the guys and somehow my sax in its hiscox case made its way under a tire and didn’t get loaded. This was realized when we heard a drag and felt a bump. Case was toast, but sax and accessories 100% unharmed. We drive a 12 person Ford passenger van for reference. Ordered a new one and it was waiting for me at our venue three days later. Went with the white one because black was out of stock. Love it! Highly endorse.

It’s been a busy summer and fall season and winter’s hitting fast in the intermountain west this year. Can’t wait to use some of my upcoming off-season to figure out my electronic rig and get the pickup drilled into either the neck or the rubber robusto to get to new places with the sounds I can create!

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
As always, I’m so glad you are digging the mouthpiece. Having gear that makes you happy is a great thing.
I loved your post and I will check out the neck strap. My friend has one and really likes it too.
All the best, Mark

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
For metal hooks: a cheap and easy solution could be electrical insulation heat shrink tubing. $cheap at a good hardware store (I suppose lighting people could help). Cut a short length, slip it over the hook and gently heat. It'll harden a bit and last ages with years with of spares from one length.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For metal hooks: a cheap and easy solution could be electrical insulation heat shrink tubing. $cheap at a good hardware store (I suppose lighting people could help). Cut a short length, slip it over the hook and gently heat. It'll harden a bit and last ages with years with of spares from one length.
That is a great idea. I've used heat shrink tubing several times, once even to extend the octave key rod on my old YAS-52 to reach the key on a Custom V1 neck, and it never occurred to me to try this on a metal strap hook.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That is a great idea. I've used heat shrink tubing several times, once even to extend the octave key rod on my old YAS-52 to reach the key on a Custom V1 neck, and it never occurred to me to try this on a metal strap hook.
Not my idea. It came up on some other neck strap thread.
But, hay, that's how my Just Joe's hangs!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Weird thing is my Balam strap came with clear rubber tubing over the hook.

·
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weird thing is my Balam strap came with clear rubber tubing over the hook.
I got mine used. I doubt there was rubber over it though, it’s in pretty new condition.
I might try the heat shrinking tube mentioned...my worry was that it would just wear through in a few sessions like most of the rubber coated hooks I’ve tried.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
… somehow my sax in its hiscox case made its way under a tire and didn’t get loaded. This was realized when we heard a drag and felt a bump. Case was toast, but sax and accessories 100% unharmed. We drive a 12 person Ford passenger van for reference…
That is a fantastic endorsement for Hiscox cases.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
That is a fantastic endorsement for Hiscox cases.
It is definitely a good endorsement for their structural strength, but unfortunately if the horn is able to bounce around inside the case while carrying it, it's a moot point. People have mentioned getting extra foam pads and such and securing their horns. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that, but hey, if they can withstand being run over by a van, that's pretty crazy!

- Saxaholic

·
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bouncing is a super easy fix and takes no time. Yes, apparently they will ship you some extra foam that matches your interior. I believe that was mentioned on a gripe thread where a bunch of people think a non-custom case should magically hold whatever model of saxophone they happen to own perfectly, like it was made exactly for it. You should check it out.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Another inexpensive solution is Plasti Dip. Home Depot and the like stock it. I have a Yamaha Monster sax swab, which has a short piece of metal bar sewn in as the weight. The edges of the bar began to cut through the material, exposing the metal. A quick dip into the Plasti Dip solved the problem permanently.

·
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
White might be less likely to be overlooked when loading the van!
🤣🤣🤣
Man, I got so lucky the case was up to the task! I’m usually not only the last guy to do a sweep of the stage and loading area, but also keep my personal gear on my person and load it in last with me, but I was in the office gabbing with the bartenders and collecting pay while the other guys loaded out this time. Glad musicians friend was able to expedite shipping to an address on the road and UPS was on time because I don’t think the temporary duffel stuffed with pillows case was a sturdy substitute 🤣
Thanks for the plasti dip tip, might have to try that out!

·
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made the hook switch on the Balam and it’s great, but damn was it hard to restring! I figured I could just look at the pictures online and put it back together easily...not so much. Should’ve paid better attention while taking it apart. I thought I had it twice but not so much. I even emailed The Boston Sax Shop and Jack Finucane was prepared to take closeups and do anything he could to help before I messaged back and told him I figured it out. Still love it, and now there’s no metal-on-metal action. I’ve made a few slight fit adjustments and it’s by far the most comfortable strap/ harness/ holder I’ve used.

Also: Linked some photos of the dead Hiscox case I found still on my phone...RIP, you served me well.
View attachment 245438
View attachment 245440
View attachment 245442
View attachment 245444

1 - 20 of 21 Posts