Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 15 and normally i listen to saxophonists of my time like grover washington jr, kenny g, and boney james. but i want to get more into the stuff thats way before my time . the only two i have are john coltrane and charlie parker. i want to know and learn about older jazz if anyone can help.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
What a terrific thing to want to do. Start with Sidney Bechet. I was going to post a link or two, but since you're 15 I'm sure you'd be faster than I would :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Lots of great ones to hear. I love Branford Marsalis' playing. Check out Paul McCandless

You can also hear lots of his stuff with the group Oregon

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Give a listen to Steve Lacy on "GIL EVANS + TEN", also known as "BIG FUN".
Also Lacy on the ****** Mitchell Sessions.

This is a great place to start with Lacy.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Not a soprano player, but you'd be missing out on a WORLD of saxophone knowledge if you overlook Sonny Stitt.

One word: STITT

DO IT!

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Johnny Hodges played quite a bit of soprano in the early years of the Duke Ellington Orchestra. Check him out in 1930 on "Old Man Blues" from about 2:12. (You can also see some Freddie Jenkins left handed trumpet playing and Juan Tizol on valve trombone made up to not look so white!)

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Go and check out Jan Garbarek - I've always liked his soprano playing a lot. Ernie Watts in the old days with Friendship did some nice stuff on soprano, a tune called 'Waterwings' comes to mind...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Marc Russo does great work with the curved soprano. Dave Koz too :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Try this for some sweet soprano: David Liebman (with 13-year-old Gadi Lehavi)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
And now for something completely different Koen deCauter with either the Rosenberg Trio or Waso. Search him out on youtube sop clarinet guitar and sings

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
A couple of the more obvious names are Wayne Shorter and John Coltrane. As you probably know, Trane in mid to late period split his playing maybe 40% soprano 60% tenor. Shorter in his later career tended to play mostly soprano. Check out his Weather Report stuff; very minimalist playing quite unlike Trane. I really like Wayne's sound on the soprano.

I like the stuff that Lacy did with Roswell Rudd on trombone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
branford marsalis" great phrasing very good at accompanying a vocal line, check out his recordings with sting!.
jan garbarek" haunting sparse, phrasing!...george howard great jazz/funk,fusion player.
loads of others too but these come to mind!.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts