Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

This is my first post as I pretty much decided yesterday that I would like to start playing saxophone. I have done my research and, while i know nothing on the subject, i think the Yamaha YAS-23 would be a good choice for me (correct me if im wrong :p)

Well I was having a look on ebay and i found these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-YAS-2...657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6404e191

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vito-Alto-Sa...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5be33c6

The Yamaha one looks pretty damn brilliant and looks like I may be able to afford it (even with the $85 shipping to aus). Only thing i noticed is that "the screw that tightens the neck is broken off". Is this a big deal?

Also that vito sax, thats pretty much just a Yamaha KAS-23 with vito branding isnt it?

Anyway, i know this is my first post and im probably asking a lot, but if anyone could offer any advice or maybe have a look over that yamaha and give it the 'OK' that would be awesome.

Hopefully i can start jamming soon :D

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I would be turned off from the Vito by the dent in the neck.

I would be careful about both auctions because the seller doesn't seem to know or represent whether they are in playing condition. He says "pads look good", etc, but I have no reason to believe he knows what he's talking about (a TON of ebay listings say "great pads" even when the horn needs an overhaul because the seller doesn't know any better).

Yes, the Vito is basically a Yamaha 23.

What's your budget, including shipping AND including maintenance after you get it? Many many ebay horns will require SOME amount of work at your tech after you get the horn. At a minimum, after shipping, a basic tune up may be required. However, many will need a lot more than that, depending on whether its really truly in playing condition.

Yes, a YAS-23 would be a perfectly fine starter horn. You're not necessarily limited to a YAS-23 -- there are plenty of other makes/models that could work for you depending on budget. But that would be a very fine choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is around $500 with shipping. If it needs a tune up thats fine I dont mind paying a little extra here or there but $500 is pretty much the max i want to pay, which i realise is probably limiting myself somewhat.

Maybe i should ask the seller if its in perfect working order and in playing condition, just to see what he says.

Thanks for your reply, ill post back if the seller answers my question.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1 on both counts
I would be turned off from the Vito by the dent in the neck.

I would be careful about both auctions because the seller doesn't seem to know or represent whether they are in playing condition.
Unless a seller is pretty specific about the horn being in great working condition or recently maintained, at a minimum I would expect instrument to be serviced to get in "playing condition" w some pad replacement, regulation etc. Dents in the lower portion of the horn (curve at the bottom, bell) generally have little effect on sound/intonation. But, a dented neck is much more an issue. Look for signs of trauma - bent keys, rods, different colored patched of laquer or "heat blemishes" from resoldering etc.

Repair techs generall suggest Yamaha and Vito as pretty decent starter horns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. This thread caught the attention of a member here and they have offered to sell me a Yamaha YAS-23 for $500 shipped to aus! I will post some pics here because i really have no idea what im looking at :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts