Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so - after playing old horns since, maybe, 1968, I have been thinking about trying to find something a little more comfortable, action-wise. My main horn right now is my 1950 The Martin alto, a beautiful horn with good action and a wonderful sound, but every once in a while I pick up even a mediocre import that plays faster with less effort.

Does there exist, in this world of knockoffs, a reasonably-priced horn with a real vintage sound, a broad, breathing tone that comes anywhere near these older horns? Money is an object here, and the price would have to be reasonable. I might sell the Martin in order to get it, or trade, or something.

Be aware that I have played some Yamaha altos that I did not like.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Maybe try a mid-level Jupiter? I not sure if a modern alto will give a legit vintage tone. I wouldn't give up my Comm III for any modern horn. I do like 'em though.

Keep the Martin!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,009 Posts
Yanagisawa. The "separate post" models AWO1, AWO2, 901, 902, 800, A5. Jot the "ribbed" models AWO10, AWO20, 991, 992, 880.

Not the only choice. But i like them.

dsm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
I posted elsewhere about being in a Trad-jazz jam band a few months ago where an older gentleman sounded just like Rudy Weidoeft. He was playing a Yamaha Custom Z alto.

It ain’t the horn, its the player. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,732 Posts
Borgani Jubilee is the best combo of early Conn sound and modern ergos. “Reasonably priced” will depend on whether you are coming from Bueschers or Selmers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ida Maria Grassi from the early to mid nineties. Either a Professional 2000 or Prestige. I love mine. They are an Italian Mark VI knockoff. Modern ergonomics, stable intonation and a nice Selmer like sound for around a grand.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try the eastman 52nd street. The best modern alto I have tried. I almost bought it but my "good conscience" was constantly telling me "You don't play alto very often". While the "bad one" was saying "Get that beast!!!!" :) :) :) :) I had to run away.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry I faded away there for a few days, been heavily ensconced in mixing down some sessions. Thanks for all these, I ended up picking up a Stephanhouser alto from Junkdude, and I love the thing. Big sound, not overly bright, and works well with all my mouthpieces. And action that I like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts