Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I plays alto for 3 years and my one is Yanagisawa 991.

I purchased Conn New Wonder soprano from SOTW member about 2 years ago and sometimes plays it. So I assumed I was used to the ergonomics of Conn.

I got New Wonder II alto through Ebay last month and had it overhauled.
I play it for two weeks.
I had no problem playing with palm keys, G# key and right hand side keys.
But I had a problem with the octave key.
When I plays notes which need the octave key, sometimes I fail to push it. In my mind I know I have to push it and also know my thumb is pushing it at that time. But sometimes I fails. The note is octave lower than I intended. Maybe I did not push the key skillfully.

What I wonder is I did not have an experience with this problem playing the soprano.
Comparing the layout of the octave key and the thumb rest of soprano and alto, they almost look similar to my eyes, so why I fail in alto?

Being used to the new alto, it will take many hours. I know it.
When you played New Wonder at first, the same thing occurred?
Also I just want to know that there is someone who did modifications to the octave key or thumb rest?
If there is, how to do it?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
You may need to have it adjusted so it moves more. Perhaps the cork on the underside is too fat or the key lever is bent. If that is not the problem, you may want to apply some cork on the top side to make it easier to press.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It looks from your description that the octave key isn't working under certain circumstances.
You haven't specified any particular range of notes where the problem occurs - but it's usually either in the D-G range or the A and above (or the entire upper octave...which would mean the mech isn't working at all).
My guess at this point would be that there's either some wear in the mech or it's been poorly set up.

It would be worth sitting down with the horn and examining the workings of the octave key mech as you finger the notes. In particular, look at what happens at the transition between G and A. What you're looking for is any movement in the mech that doesn't get transferred to the next key along the line. This could be as a result of keys failing to rest on each other, or it could be down to wear in the key pivots taking up the movement before passing it on to the key itself.

Regards,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Bailey and Mr. Howard,

Thank you very much for the advice.
I will check up what you informed.

Again I have to say "Thank you" to both of you.
Because when I got the New Wonder, the micro tuner did not badge.
Checking up SOTW, I read your post and I was able to rotate it at last.
HP by Mr. Howard is very helpful and I plan to try Sugru to modify the key or thumb rest.

Let me thank you again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts