Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been playing for a while on a Yamaha Yts-280 tenor which is a good beginners sax.
Now I'm looking to pick up my first own sax and it's a djungel out there.
I'm looking at theese 2 atm.

A Yanagisawa T4 which is gonna be restored to wery good working condition from a shop if I pick it up.

Or this a kohlert from the late 30s and it's silver plated and it's all intact also. This has been restored and is in wery good working condition.
I know it's 2 totally different saxophones but I'm still curious to hear if u have any input for me on theese 2. Don't know the brand on that Kohler though.

Skickat från min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I generally recommend not buying anything until you have play tested. Quality of the horn is one thing. How you match the horn is much more important.

Unless it is a complete bargain I wouldn’t take the Yani as it hasn’t been restored yet......I am assuming you would be stuck with the Yani after it is fixed up, even if you don’t like it.......not that it is difficult to sell a Yani......but it is a big hassle.

The Yani has a far superior reputation for modern horns.

Also, I am concerned that you don’t have a photo of the Yani. Are you sure it is a Yani, or is it a Yani copy. Do you have a way to verify?

Last note - fixed up is one thing. Fixed up to excellent playing condition is another. Some repairmen have the knack. Others don’t. Regardless of the ability of the repairman, after he fixes it up, he is going to tell you the horn is in great playing condition. This forum is filled with a bunch of great repair stories.....but unfortunately there are a lot of disaster repair stories on the forum too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and thanks for the input. We'll I live in sweden and the person which has restored the Kohler is a well know repair person here and does really solid work. He would say it's in wery good working order if it isn't.
And yes I know it's a good thing to try out the sax but I live to far to travel to try that one out. And the Yani is not a copy it's also from a well known retailer here in sweden.
The only pic I have today is this one on it.

But it's sold as it is and the only info i have on that T4 today is that it's playable but with a minor leakage.
I'm gonna call them tommorow and see what's the problem with it and try to get it lowered down on the pricing the seller is asking 850 us for it as it sits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And yes if I pick up the Yani the repairshop said that it might be enough to put in like 400 us on it and after that it will be fully cleaned, sealed up and checked through so it works good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts