I just bought a great used clarinet (hard rubber - not wood). It appeared to have been wonderfully restored with new cork and pads. When it arrived today, I had to step back after I opened the box (yes the outer box) because of the strong odor of some sort of solvent. When I removed the case and opened it, the fumes were really overwhelming. I removed the clarinet (which really does look great) and threw the case in the outside garbage because I couldn't stand the smell. It wasn't any good anyway. I was really hoping that the case was the source of the smell, but it isn't. I have just spent quite awhile wiping down this instrument both inside and out and getting every nook and cranny reachable. It still burns my nose and I can't imagine trying to play it. I'm used to smelling gasoline, paint, etc. so it's not just a sensitive nose issue. (No, I don't smell them on purpose :bluewink
My questions are:
What kind of solvent do you think it is.
Will it evaporate?
If not, is it removable?
If so, can I remove the solvent without taking everything apart?
Should I call the EPA to handle it as HazMat? (just kidding)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Sax on the Web Forum
A forum community dedicated to saxophone players and enthusiasts originally founded by Harri Rautiainen. Come join the discussion about collections, care, displays, models, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!