Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I just stumbled on this forum today while searching for repertoire out there. I'm a once-upon-a-time saxophone major who hasn't played in quite a few years. I may be getting back into it, and one possibility is playing a solo with a friend's community band. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good pieces for solo Alto (or perhaps Tenor) and concert band where the band parts are not terribly demanding. My friend tells me his group is good, but they only rehearse once a week, so I'm guessing it would be unfair and unrealistic to subject them to very difficult parts.

Thanks!

Oh, and please let me know if there is another place on SOTW that I should be posting repertoire requests... I have one other question, but I figure I won't double up in a single thread.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sammie Nestico's "Persuasion" is a very pretty piece and not technically demanding.
Also look into Heiden's "Diversion," it's not too difficult for the soloist and the band part can be pulled off by a relatively good high school band (like mine :O)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
'Harlem Nocturne' is fairly straightforward. I like the Nestico, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For someone who has been out of the game for a while, this may not be the best option, but Introduction and Samba by Whitney isn't too difficult for the band. I played it with my high school band (11-12 or so years ago) and they did a decent job.

The saxophone part has tons of altissimo but I understand there may be a "student" version you can dig up that doesn't have this. Another plus is that this work would probably appeal to the typical community band audience.

BTW... I'm in the same boat with you regarding not playing for a long time. It's been about 8-9 years since serious study in my case. My observation is that the basics come back pretty quickly. Extended register/techniques take longer. It certainly isn't like starting from scratch, though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Concertante by Clare Grundman has fairly easy and repetitive band parts. As far as difficulty, the solo part is middle of the road.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
jbtsax said:
"Ballade" by Alfred Reed is a very nice alto solo with band accompaniment. The band parts are maybe grade 3 1/2 to 4.
The Ballade, is indeed a very beautiful piece. If it is still in print, Latinata, by David Bennett, is a more technical,(nothing like Creston,(etc), and has High School doable band parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to try to find samples of each one.

Three days into playing again... my stamina is horrible!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts