Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
How would you recommend soloing on Invitation(Kaper/Washington)? The chord progression is quite difficult
Thanks,

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are a lot of approaches to learning to improvise over a tune. In the past, I've had some success by just walking a bass line over the changes. Then play a simple, but specific, pattern over each chord (3-5-1-7, for example). Then branch out a little from those notes, but keep the original pattern in mind. After a few play-throughs, you should have the general feel of the changes under your fingers, and you should feel more confident about branching out. This is just one method, I'm sure everyone here has different ideas.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Taking a quick look, it's basically a series of 2-5-1 patterns. Some major, some minor.

I'd work it slowly, using the principle of being able to use the same note set throughout a 2-5-1; then having fiddled with each 2-5-1 set for a while and gotten stuff under my fingers, I'd do what Grumps says.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Transcription is also a useful tool...here are a couple from the same tenor player...you can pick short phrases, don't need to do the whole enchilada:
Two tenor players on this one, the first solo is Brecker, then Mintzer, & Brecker closes out:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I’m a firm believer in transcription. Pick a few solos you like on the tune and learn them inside and out. Then, write them down with the chord changes above and look at exactly what they’re doing. So, you know understand some great examples of playing on this tune from all angles. Tone, feel, time, and the theory. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts