Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if there is a thread elsewhere about this...

I've been lurking lately and have seen many requests for solo transcriptions. For all of you beginners out there one of the best ways to learn how to play your instrument is by playing your instrument. If you hear a solo or even just a lick that you want to learn, get the tune and learn it. Not to sound like an old man, but when I started learning solos half of my time was spent trying to drop the needle somewhere close to the start of the solo and then I'd play along with the record.

With the computers and software we have today there is no reason whatsoever that a beginner can't learn a song, solo or lick. You can slow stuff down without changing the pitch, you can loop ad infinitum, there's no excuse not to learn something on your own.

If you really want to learn something, learn it. The value of learning something on your own is exponentially greater than asking someone for a copy of the solo.

<end rant>

Whew. I feel better now. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agreed. I'm only a college student, and it when I was in highschool I wouldn't like to transcribe solos or tunes, but I would get licks or patterns. Since then i've transcribed tons of solos by many different people, Prez, Newk, Warne Marsh, Sonny Stitt, Dex, and more recent guys like Bergonzi, and Chris Potter. I have to say that I've learned more through transcribing than through any thing else. It is THE source, the actual MUSIC, that you have to learn. The academic parts are merely a way to organize it all and come up with names for what the musicians were already doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts