Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,499 Posts
Why did it take you 4 months to post it ?

Thank goodness at the end there was clapping, the vid makes it look like you are playing to an empty house !!!!

;)

But seriously, you sound very good. I like your note bending, and you play with feel. Your improv didn't sound labored or lost or short on ideas. You connected your phrases nicely. Unlike many young players, you also didn't feel the need to provide notespray everywhere...you left some space here and there, allowed the phrases to stand on their own.

I think, given that we ask for critique here....the only thing which strikes me is that the strength of your blowing wavers a bit from time to time, and I didn't get the sense it was intentional dynamics. Maybe try on getting a more consistent sound thru the entire tune.

If I were your band director, I wouldn't allow the bassist to play walking bass lines without the drums at least providing a boom-chick...because the guy sorta messed everyone up at the start of the tune.

But you sound fantastic, and so does the stage band, actually.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,212 Posts
You have a great alto sound Chris. I heard some Johnny Hodges influences at places (1:17, 1:40). Good solo and band, keep up the good work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts