Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i have to confess that this is a first for me as well. It must have been a special order because if they produced these in any number we would have seen one on here before..........very strange!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I don't think that a sterling neck would have a sterling male tenon.... I never heard of this, coupled with the tenon thing makes me think plated neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Definately plated. Sterling necks always have bronze/brass tenon/hardware. This is a nice job and interesting but is not worth any more than any Mk VI alto neck in equivalent used condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
yes, unless it says somewhere " sterling" on the tenon and body of the neck I am not convinced that someone would make a tenon made of solid silver and therefore it must be a silver plate neck.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
it sure looks like sterling from the fotos...the inside pics......

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
All that means is they did not plug the bore when they dipped it. Again, no Sterling necks have solid silver tenons as far as I know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
yes, unless it says somewhere " sterling" on the tenon and body of the neck I am not convinced that someone would make a tenon made of solid silver and therefore it must be a silver plate neck.
jewellry suppliers sells the "sterling" stamp at about 15 bucks...

·
38,840 Posts
jewellry suppliers sells the "sterling" stamp at about 15 bucks...
Not in France where they have a system for hallmarking silver and as for all countries adhering to the Vienna convention this would be called fraud and you can go to jail! In these countries the silvers is assayed independently by an assaying office and not stamped by the maker.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember V1 necks still being available for quite a while after the V1 alto and tenor were discontinued but never heard of a solid silver neck for a V1. The seller says this was 30 years ago when they were available. I'd like to see some literature or a brochure to verify. Selmer often did little experiments so maybe it's genuine but it's a new one on me. Maybe the person who modified it could attain to it's authenticity.

·
38,840 Posts
the tenon wouldn't be made of solid silver if it was made by Selmer (or any other neck maker) because a silver tenon on a brass receiver would wear out

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..yep,ill buy all this!!

·
1,337 Posts
precious metals in the U.S.(and other countries, too, I'd guess) are required to have a stamp on them somewhere identifying the type of metal. 'Pt' for Platinum, for example. I'm not positive about whether silver would fall into this category, but I'd guess sterling would.

I, too, think this is bogus. Especially from the 70s, when plated was as adventurous as anyone ever got.

Sure wasn't in the U.S. catalogs from then, or I'da remembered it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts