Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had any really early True Tones, but it has been asserted to me by a Martin fanatic that the very early ones had soldered tone holes.

Comments, please.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got a Buescher brochure from around 1920 that touts the benefits of their improved soldered tone hole with increased surface at its base for more soldering surface. I can't find it at the moment.

Cheers,
David

·
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I forgot about Pete's article. Has anyone actually seen one of these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,222 Posts
I own one in nickleplate, serial number is 27,0XX. The toneholes are pretty wild looking with that real fat base. Anything in particular you'd like to know aobut it?

Here are some photos: share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1EbMXLNqxYsRG

·
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own one in nickleplate, serial number is 27,0XX. The toneholes are pretty wild looking with that real fat base. Anything in particular you'd like to know aobut it?

Here are some photos: share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1EbMXLNqxYsRG
Thank you.

Can you tell any difference in the way it plays? Have you had any issues with leaking at the chimney bases? I tend to be very cautious in ascribing sound qualities to any particular feature, but I'm still curious if you can tell any differences.

I know very little about pre-snap Bueschers and I'd like to fill in the blanks.

That tone hole treatment is different than the only soldered tone hole Buescher that I've owned. Serial 287,xxx

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,497 Posts
I have a couple of customers with beveled tone hole early true tones. I have seen no example past the 50XXX serial mark. THey play like a normal drawn tone holes (wich coexisted with the earlier soldered on tone holes examples) when they ain't leaking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,222 Posts
Whoops, didn't mean to leave you hanging! It's been a couple years since the overhaul was done, I don't recall any issues with leaky toneholes (I'm sure my tech would've given me grief over it), he did have to spend a bit more time than usual seating pads. It seemed to blow pretty well compared to my Series IV TT. I should drag it back out and give it a blow again to refresh my memory. I'll add that to my 'to do' list for the weekend...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.