1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,399 Posts
Depends on how long its been separated. If it just happened, he can probably heat it up and re-affix it. If its been some time, he will have to clean it up first to remove foreign material. I guess about $20.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I was taught it is always better to clean the parts and apply new solder. The thinking is that if the old solder failed once, it will fail again. Many shops have a minimum bench charge of around $15 - $25. To clean and resolder at that location would take only about 10 to 15 min. At a $60/hr bench rate that would be in the range of $15.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I have never simply added flux and heated. I have always cleaned up the surfaces first. That takes time.
(Quite often there is a cavity in the middle, where a hole was drilled for alignment purposes when the post was silver-soldered to the base. It is quite likely that the original soldering failed because of corrosive flux remaining in that cavity, eventually compromising the soldering. )

Quite often I feel a need to wire the base to the body, in order to get secure alignment. That takes more time.
Sometimes, especially if the lacquer is particularly heat sensitive, there are cosmetic issues than may benefit from attention. That takes more time.
Also, posts often part because they have had a knock. That knock often dents the body below the post. To lift that dent takes more time too.

I think that 15 minutes is fine if all goes simply and smoothly, but other times it is perhaps a bit optimistic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts