Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have this silver plated horn with solder smeared over a big portion of the bell, over the engraving. Is there any ways to remove it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,209 Posts
Why would it be smeared over the bell ? A picture might be useful.

The thicker solder can be heated and wiped off. You'll get a certain amount bonded to the surface which can be removed with abrasion, but it'll probably take off the silver plate too. So there's a good chance you'll need to replate if you try and remove the solder.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I just learned at a repair clinic that you can remove solder on a silver plated surface by rubbing it with artist's charcoal. Coates Willow Charcoal was the brand shown in the presentation. I haven't had a chance to try this myself yet so I can't share firsthand experience on how well it works. In the recesses of an engraving, it may be much more difficult to remove.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Yipes....as Oric asked....can you post a photo ? (I'd almost rather NOT see a photo, based on how you describe it)

Charcoal...wow, crazy....who'da' thunk it ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
No matter what you do, you are going to remove some of the silver, albeit a small amount, even polishing cloths remove silver.

The trick is removing the solder stain area just enough to do the job

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Would that hurt the silver plating also?
Can you post a photo so we know what you are talking about, precisely ?

Just go to the Reply window...click 'advanced' button below it, and on next page scroll down to 'Attachments' button and click that. Then upload your photo and it will apear on this thread.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
It looks like a soldered tonehole was repaired and a big glob of solder dribbled down, and then someone came by and tried to wipe it off while still molten and did not do a good job of getting it off.

I would suggest that the first thing you need to do is make sure that tone hole with the black line around the joint to the bell is solidly attached and leak free. It seems as well that there should be a key guard over that tone hole. And the key guard that's visible at the top of the picture needs to be resoldered.

Once that's taken care of, my (poorly informed) first suggestion would be to heat the bell area up to solder melting temp and try to wipe the old solder off with clean fine grade steel wool (like 00 or 000). You would want to be sure not to press very hard.

Once the solder thickness is reduced to just a fine film, you MIGHT be able to take the remaining traces off and re-expose the silver plating underneath by proceeding VERY CAREFULLY with a mild abrasive polish. The color and luster of polished solder and polished silver plate are different enough that I think you could do this, just a tiny area at a time, under good lighting.

Unfortunately, solder will enthusiastically wet silver, even more so than brass, with or without flux, so you may not be able to get it completely off without going through the silver plate here and there. You might end up doing some spot re-plating in the area if you really want the best appearance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,209 Posts
Well that's someone trying to resolder the tonehole and failing. The tonehole looks like it still needs attaching and the guard foot is off too. So it needs those things sorting first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input. My theory is the same. Someone tried to remove the solder but messed up. It's from the guard post though and the tonehole is fine. It's probably some kind of burnt material as I see no leaks from the inside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Why a person should consider using a tech, anyone can solder in theory, on a serious note, that will buff right out

To me, the person did not clean the area adequatley, did not use an appropriate flux, they got it way too hot and as such the keyguard has also desoldered.

Steve

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
There must surely be a chemical (or electrolysis process) that removes solder without attacking silver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts