Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a book with soft slow bluesy tenor saxophone for late in the night style....with preferably CD accompaniment.

Any suggestions?? Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Get a bit more specific. Are you wanting blues or ballads, and I guess you are wanting backing tracks.

I'd recommend picking some songs that you like and would like to perform (i.e. ballad = "I'm A Fool To Love You" via Dexter) learn the melody and have a "service" make you some backing tracks to go with it or get into a studio with some friends and do your own.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
What would a book bring you ? Isn't the interest of a specific blues rendering in the detail of the interpretation, never captured in written form ? You have to listen to your favorite players, and emulate their playing. Slow blues has the advantage of being ... slow. It is usually easier to follow than fast tunes. Check someone like S. Turrentine (eg "Scrap Iron" on Duke Pearson's "The Right Touch").

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Abersold's volume 32 "Ballads" has slow bluesy tunes that work well with saxophone but you have to check out all the books because many have one or two tunes on them that can be used for what you describe. It's hit or miss with play along books.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What would a book bring you ? Isn't the interest of a specific blues rendering in the detail of the interpretation, never captured in written form ? You have to listen to your favorite players, and emulate their playing. Slow blues has the advantage of being ... slow. It is usually easier to follow than fast tunes. Check someone like S. Turrentine (eg "Scrap Iron" on Duke Pearson's "The Right Touch").
Great suggestion man! I will check that out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts