Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fly with Singapore regularly, and they will not let me take my tenor as hand luggage in a hard case. After a couple of bad experiences letting it go through ' fragile ' ( ha ha ), the only way to go is for a soft case and hand luggage. Whatsa decent one for my 120,000 mark VI ?
TIA Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,534 Posts
I wouldn’t put a valuable saxophone is a really soft case (or any saxophone) especially if they are going to cram it in an overhead locker with lots of other stuff on top.

I would purchase an hard case disguised as a soft one ( Protec) which is canvas outside and hard shell inside. they are as compact as it could be a case and very protective.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,780 Posts
That's what I was thinking too - it looks/feels like a soft case but has a plywood case inside the padded Nylon. I have recently bought the very one pictured above (blue int.) for my VI tenor and its a very good case. A major improvement they recently made is the lower side of the case (when sitting flat ready to be opened) is now flat instead of having the 'fiddle arch' in it. That was put there for strength but made the case want to tip over backwards when the top was raised. Now with the flat bottom its more stable. The top has a more pronounced bulge for the bell flare to make up for the flat bottom. In general the case fits a Selmer better than the earlier models and the safety features make it extremely unlikely that you will ever dump the sax by grabbing just one handle with the case unzipped. The first safety is the Velcro flap under the handles that pretty much grabs by itself when you close the case. The second is the Velcro closure that puts the two handles together. Either one alone will keep the case shut if you forget to zip it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,583 Posts

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
If you truly can't fly with a contoured hard case as carry-on, then you need to either buy an Anvil case and check it, or buy a $100 Mexi-Conn so you won't be out much money when it gets destroyed in the overhead bin when the next passenger attempts to shove their carry-on bag in on top of it.

There is no way in hell I would put a Selmer Mark 6 tenor in a gig bag even to walk down the street carrying it. There's a good reason why these things were sold in hard cases originally.

·
33,583 Posts
If you truly can't fly with a contoured hard case as carry-on...
He said that he cannot fit the original case in the overhead, and is seeking a more compact case. Yes, a contour case is the correct answer for carryon - and need not necessarily be a soft gigbag.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
He said that he cannot fit the original case in the overhead, and is seeking a more compact case. Yes, a contour case is the correct answer for carryon - and need not necessarily be a soft gigbag.
"...they will not let me take my tenor as hand luggage in a hard case..."

He didn't specify what kind of hard case. I agree with you that the contoured hard case is the next stop if what he's not being allowed to carry on is a rectangular case. I know a guy who has a VERY COMPACT case (not sure what brand) for his Selmer tenor - it's kind of a bluish carbon-fiberry look on the outside - might be BAM, I don't know.

But if they're not letting him carry on a rigid contoured case, then my recommendation would apply.

Who knows what kind of stuff the airlines will come up with next? It's totally dependent on the decisions made by the gate and cabin crew. Challenge it and you won't be flying. So if I had even the least doubt whether I would be allowed to carry something on, I'd pack it suitably for checking and pre-emptively check it.

Honestly, if I were flying regularly with a tenor sax, I'd buy a beater, because every single flight contains the risk of damage/destruction, whether in the overhead bin or forcible gate-checking because all the overhead space is full (the conditions of carriage will clearly state that you are not entitled to overhead space, just that the air line will "make every effort" or some such language). For a one time trip, I'd likely take the risk but not over and over again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,376 Posts
I fly with Singapore regularly, and they will not let me take my tenor as hand luggage in a hard case. After a couple of bad experiences letting it go through ' fragile ' ( ha ha ), the only way to go is for a soft case and hand luggage. Whatsa decent one for my 120,000 mark VI ?
TIA Dave
...as opposed to one for, say, a 210,000 Mark VI ?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Fly Quantas instead, then. No, Singapore (at least when I took them last) were very good but in today's air travel zoo, even a contour case may not fit the restrictions for overhead (and be too long to stow it under the seat). It'll depend on the specific model of aircraft and the custom outfit done by the airline. If it was United, you'd be screwed anyway, Southwest, maybe, Delta, could be ok. If you fly first or biz class, you wouldn't have to worry and if the flight is empty, then it is no problem either. But that hasn't happened in the last decade either.

Most airlines have the max dimensions for carry-on posted and/or a "box-frame" at the gate. If it doesn't fit, you are not allowed to take it on-board. So, get the dimensions and see if any of the contour cases would fit with Singapore. My gut feeling, looking at my Gator case is "not". It would fit but only length-wise and on a full flight that's not an option at least in economy.

·
33,583 Posts
"...they will not let me take my tenor as hand luggage in a hard case..."

He didn't specify what kind of hard case. I agree with you that the contoured hard case is the next stop if what he's not being allowed to carry on is a rectangular case. I know a guy who has a VERY COMPACT case (not sure what brand) for his Selmer tenor - it's kind of a bluish carbon-fiberry look on the outside - might be BAM, I don't know.

But if they're not letting him carry on a rigid contoured case, then my recommendation would apply.
Yes. Peace.

Flyers can also recall that there are guidelines in favor of musicians carrying instruments on planes. That has been discussed many times and is worth reviewing prior to flying. Milandro can supply an armful of links to the more useful previous discussions (I remain in awe at his skill in this).

I used to fly with an Anvil case checked in the hold. I watched from the window and say them pitch the case - unwieldy in its shear anvilness. Contour tenor case in the overhead has been my go-to for the last several years. I don’t have any beaters - I tried, but couldn’t be happy playing them. So, for me, its a go/no-go situation. I either fly with my horn in a BAM, or I leave it home. YMMWV (no “maybe” about it).

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yes. Peace.

Flyers can also recall that there are guidelines in favor of musicians carrying instruments on planes. That has been discussed many times and is worth reviewing prior to flying. Milandro can supply an armful of links to the more useful previous discussions (I remain in awe at his skill in this).
Cheers!
The problem is that guidelines are changing constantly as are the additional fees that start outweighing the actual ticket cost. That's why I recommended checking with the airline before booking the flight.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Rules for US domestic flights might not apply to what I am assuming is an international flight on Singapore airlines.

I'm not a very frequent flyer, three to four times a year seems to be about what it amounts to. The only time I have had to hand check my tenor was on one of the regional type jets in a 2+1 seating configuration.

On "larger" jets (3+3 seating) I've never been asked to hand check my tenor. This was true for both an SKB 450 and my present JW Eastman case, both of which are contoured.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,867 Posts

·
33,583 Posts
TIA Dave
Dave,

Could you please clarify whether you are looking for a “soft case/gig bag”, or something that is more compact than a rectangular hard case?

FWIW, BAM explicitly states that the mold for their interior foam is a Mk VI.

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dave,

Could you please clarify whether you are looking for a “soft case/gig bag”, or something that is more compact than a rectangular hard case?

Thanks for the suggestions! IMG_2762 (1).jpg

Here is my Hiscox case currently, they class this as a hard case at the airport and won't let me take it carry on. I almost didn't fly and reluctantly let it go ' priority ' and fragile. Sure enough it turned up at the villa with a visably bent body..gut wrenching. Its almost as if its been sliding at speed and come to to a sudden stop.
They used the analogy of guitar cases, and in the same way won't let a guitar be taken hand luggage unless in one of those soft cases.
The Protec looks good, I think I need to speak with the airline.

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave,

I'm liking the look of the BAM !

·
Registered
721 Posts
The BAM Cabine is smaller than the Protec, I have both but like the BAM better. It does have less storage space inside but I can fit all I need in a bag in the bell, and there's a separate storage compartment for the mouthpiece.

·
33,583 Posts
Here is my Hiscox case currently, they class this as a hard case..
I get it. I have had the Hiscox Artist and Protec cases, and the BAM cases seem much smaller.

Here’s my BAM/Borgani, same as a SoftPack but made to fit the Borgani Jubilee. Not as much storage space as a Protec, but more than a Cabine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'd chose another airline. This is a very concerning story: https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ans-who-were-denied-boarding-with-instruments

Their policy says you can carry on if you buy an extra seat... if you can afford it.

Soft cases are never good, in any situation, and especially not when carrying into an airplane with others shoving themselves and their luggage against it.
That's exactly what I was referring to. Until a few years ago I used to log some 250,000 miles per year and the rule changes weren't that frequent at the time but just started to emerge. Now it is more or less a lottery game, i.e. either you are denied straight away or else at the mercy of the gate agent who, in times of stress (99% of the time) will go by the book. If the case is not soft on the outside, then it is not a soft case and therefore will not be allowed. These people are paid "minus the mistakes they make" and are instructed to lie to the customer to avoid airline liability, so don't blame them personally, at least not categorically.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts