Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
Good grief.... All I wanted to know was where and who the trolls are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Here's how dysfunctional things WERE. I have less than a half-dozen people on "ignore." To me, that is a pretty small number, because as a surfer I have been forced to consider that it seems something like 80% or more of people are fundamentally totally selfish (taking into account that surfing attracts selfish people).
That is a small number. My list numbers in the dozen, but then, once someone is on it, I cease to care whether they are active.

Dr. G, you will think you are one. You are not. If you were, I would have told you so.
Thanks, Palo. I do trust you to be straight up with me.

FWIW, I know first hand that, at least, in the old forum bans were taken seriously, and IP's tracked. I was put on a cautionary ban for 6 months, accused of having an agenda (that, to this day, I still don't know what it is/was). During that time, I did log in as another user, and the moderator notified me that having a second account was not acceptable. I shut down that account, and have since read and tried to abide by The Rules. I have been labeled a troll and a hater in the past, and am glad to hear that, at least in this regard, I am not regarded among them.

I do remain curious to know what are perceived as the agendas that a troll might harbor here, or benefit from.

All the best to you and yours, Palo.

Be well,

George

Reactions: ptung

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That is a small number. My list numbers in the dozen, but then, once someone is on it, I cease to care whether they are active.

Thanks, Palo. I do trust you to be straight up with me.

FWIW, I know first hand that, at least, in the old forum bans were taken seriously, and IP's tracked. I was put on a cautionary ban for 6 months, accused of having an agenda (that, to this day, I still don't know what it is/was). During that time, I did log in as another user, and the moderator notified me that having a second account was not acceptable. I shut down that account, and have since read and tried to abide by The Rules. I have been labeled a troll and a hater in the past, and am glad to hear that, at least in this regard, I am not regarded among them.

I do remain curious to know what are perceived as the agendas that a troll might harbor here, or benefit from.

All the best to you and yours, Palo.

Be well,

George
On further review, I've grown increasingly insecure following your post, Dr. G, and at the same time there's a sense of license. I feel I've deprived myself. I'm going to have to add 3 or 4 more, to get over it. Unlike in the past, I think some know who they are without having to be told, having posted/trolled this thread already. I thank you for the inspiration.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Not you, ZTS, or jmoen.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Genuine, well-intended question: what is the new administration's take on "sock-puppets," i.e. either present or past users using secondary or multiple accounts other than those they are currently known by, or known by in the past (perhaps having been banned in that past, re-emerging under fake names, or using secondary accounts to "troll")?

Is it verboten?

I'm pretty sure it is in play now, under the new management.
The rules didn't change since we went to the new forum, so what was 'verboten' on the old site is also 'verboten' on the new site.

Admins can check IP addresses and will act if double accounts or banned users under a new account are found. Members reporting posts that are suspicious are also helping a lot in finding them. Often the style of writing and attitude of the (double) poster is a good way to find them (together with IP checks after being reported).

Ptung, I know your are a very knowledgeable member on certain topics and we respect that, but your replies have been reported a few times now of being on the aggressive site of what is allowed. For now I would like to ask you to think twice before again posting like that. The best way to act is report posts that annoy you and if the admin's agree they will act on that.

I also think that all has been said about this topic now, so I will close this thread..

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.