Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It may or may not do it any harm - depeends on the mix of material the piece is made from. I would think that if you haven't noticed any problems by now then they're unlikely to crop up in the future.

It could also be largely unnecessary:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/mouthpiece_hygiene.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Google "the doctors products". He has stuff that will remove all the junk from your mouthpieces without messing them up.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to do this for sanitary reasons if you rinse out your mouthpieces after each use.

If you want to get rid of the calcium deposits that accumulate over time, soaking the mouthpiece in white vinegar for 20 minutes or so works very well. It doesn't completely dissolve it, but it softens it up enough to easily brush it away with an old toothbrush.
I do this about every six months or when I change the tooth patch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
I am no mouthpiece expert but I use tarn-x to remove the calcium and have not had ANY problems with discoloring. I just drop the mouthpiece in a cup of the stuff, brush it with a toothbrush inside and out and rinse in cold water. Wipe dry, polish the outside with Wenol metal polish. Return the tarn-x to the bottle. Really works well and only takes a minute tops. Better than long term soaking and the crud just comes off in seconds.
I know a lot of people will say I am wrong but in 50 years of cleaning mouthpieces, I haven't killed one yet! Try it on an old mouthpiece and see what happens.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to do this for sanitary reasons if you rinse out your mouthpieces after each use.

If you want to get rid of the calcium deposits that accumulate over time, soaking the mouthpiece in white vinegar for 20 minutes or so works very well. It doesn't completely dissolve it, but it softens it up enough to easily brush it away with an old toothbrush.
I do this about every six months or when I change the tooth patch.
I'd be real careful about doing this.
You might get away with it with a modern hard rubber piece (or a metal one), but there are a lot of ebonite pieces out there which will go green with that much exposure to even a weak acid like vinegar.
The principle is sound though - vinegar is just what you need to dissolve the white scale that build up...but there's really no need to immerse the piece in it:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Testing/Cleaning_mouthpieces.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've been soaking my mouthpieces in Listerine for years as a way to clean an eliminate germs, but was recently told this may not be a good thing to do for rubber mouthpieces. Does anyone know about this?
My repairman said just use lemon juice where the calcium deposits form and brush it with a soft toothbrush and rinse it out with water.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,544 Posts
I remove white deposits with vinegar and a soft toothbrush. I dont soak the piece. The easiest way to deal with it is to not let your mouthpiece get so disgusting.

In terms of killing germs you dont need to soak an item. Most things kill the more common germs upon contact. Germs also do not live well on things that are dry.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I am no mouthpiece expert but I use tarn-x to remove the calcium and have not had ANY problems with discoloring. I just drop the mouthpiece in a cup of the stuff, brush it with a toothbrush inside and out and rinse in cold water. Wipe dry, polish the outside with Wenol metal polish. Return the tarn-x to the bottle. Really works well and only takes a minute tops. Better than long term soaking and the crud just comes off in seconds.
I know a lot of people will say I am wrong but in 50 years of cleaning mouthpieces, I haven't killed one yet! Try it on an old mouthpiece and see what happens.
Looking at the data sheet on Tarn-x I wouldn't use this on my mouthpiece

http://www.jelmar.com/msds/TX_MSDS_eng.pdf

·
Alto, Soprano,
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok... Will try the Vinegar... I guess I'll speak to Vandoren about the mouthpiece. I don't know what kind of rubber they use, but I've been soaking it in Listerine for years now.... Hopefully it or the alcohol in it hasn't changed the piece.

·
3,590 Posts
If you're worried about the alcohol, you can buy alcohol-free Listerine. I believe it's called Listerine Zero. I've never tried it on mouthpieces, but it might work.

·
Alto, Soprano,
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're worried about the alcohol, you can buy alcohol-free Listerine. I believe it's called Listerine Zero. I've never tried it on mouthpieces, but it might work.
I'm still not sure if I should be worried about it.. I wonder what it actually does to the mouthpiece... Now that I think about it, I think the mouthwash I used was alcohol free..

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I'm still not sure if I should be worried about it.. I wonder what it actually does to the mouthpiece... Now that I think about it, I think the mouthwash I used was alcohol free..
Ok if you are really worried just pour some lemon juice on there and brush away the calcium deposits with a soft toothbrush.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought my HR Lamberson back from someone. When I sold it it was black. When I opened the package it was brownish and now 6 hours layer it is really brown. It has a smell to it like listerine so I'm wondering if the person soaked it or washed it with mint listerine and the rubber is reacting to it. It's actually got a really bitter taste to it that is making me a bit sick. Is there anything I can do to counteract this affect with the rubber? Get rid of the smell, taste and return it to black. I tried washing it 4 times with soap and water but that seems to have no affect whatsoever. Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts