Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just re-glued some pads that fell off my alto. I kept the same pads but used shellac to re-adhere it to the key cups, this was my first time after watching several videos and perusing quite a few forum posts. However, when I started playing my horn today, I noticed the pads were getting soaked through with moisture/saliva (and one even fell off-maybe related?)

Is there some sealing/waterproofing step that I missed when putting the pads on? Perhaps the pads are damaged and need total replacing? Any ideas? Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Pads are either waterproofed by the manufacturer or by a repairer at time of repad, some pads never get waterproofed and are just fine as well.

If the pads you just glued back in are getting all soaked, then they would have been getting soaked before as well, you just had not noticed it

Only a photo can allow us to guestimate if all pads need replacing or not

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,176 Posts
Not sure what tutorials you were looking at when you decided to do this...but...if you did it ....and one pad fell out again, then it has not been a very successful endeavor.

Not being a wiseass....but just suggesting that I would not rely on this method you used to have resulted in much improvement.

As Steve says, if they are getting 'wet' now, they would have been getting 'wet' before, as the adhesive material (shellac or glue) would not effect whether a pad soaks or not.

Pics would help. But the thing here is.....if you have a situation where pads had fallen out of their keycups and you re-shellaced them in....some questions are raised:

1) How do you know you re-affixed them in the same orientation which they were previously in ?

2) Did you do this by removing the keys from the horn ?

3) Was there any glue or shellac already on the pad/keycup prior to you applying shellac ?

4) How did you apply the shellac and float the re-installed pad ?

5) Did you use a leak-light ?

6) Are the pads cardboard-backed ? metal backed ? or just felt-backed ?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Indeed! So many ways for an amateur DIYer to make a botchup. And that is what you have experienced.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Were the pads DRY before reinstalling them?

Were the keys off the sax when doing is so that the shellac was still molten when installing?
I would think installing pads while still on the sax would be a challenge, especially for a first-timer.
If you take too long the shellac will harden up and not adhere to the pad.
If the pads become a 'press-fit' it may seem like it is glued on, but isn't.

And/or did you heat the cups up to level the pads after installation?

I may be wrong but are the 2, pads falling off & pads getting soaked, interrelated or just 2 separate issues (IF the pads are installed correctly)?
And are ALL the pads getting soaked, or just certain ones?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,209 Posts
If one pad fell off soon after installation, the rest are likely to follow the same path.

Get the horn to a tech.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Part of learning is making mistakes. Either you have the tools and skill set to do the job or you don't. It sounds like you should leave saxophone repairs the experts.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Tough crowd!!
I wouldn't expect perfection on the first attempt.
That being said, is this your main horn?
If so, maybe a trip to the tech IS in order.
Maybe a cheap-o sax to practice on is in order.
Also, since you are using the same pads as before, were there any indentations on the pads?
If so, unless the pad was perfectly centered there is a great chance that you will have a leak that may not go away.

If this is your main (only) sax and you are steadfast in doing it yourself I would recommend new pads.
I would suggest a call to MusicMedic or Ferree's and discuss pads and tools needed to do this correctly

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,223 Posts
The pads were dropping off before you glued some back - so they probably want replacing. Did you replace the pads with new ones or just stick the old ones back?
In either case it sounds like they leak. Air will be drawn to the leak and bring moisture with it.

In my experience pads sold as waterproof will readily soak up water. i.e they aren't waterproof. A lot of waterproofing is a spray on coating which doesn't last. (Even Gortex coats require spraying every few months.)

Pads with a plastic coating will soak up water and the plastic coating can be sticky.

Some pads have a plastic sheet behind the leather which prevents moisture getting through to the felt.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Just a tip in case it has not been mentioned... If the metal of the key cup is not heated to say around 100C when in contact with the shellac, then shellac will adhere very poorly.

And this applies somewhat to other hot melt glues too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts