Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A companion thread to the alto version located here:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...e-has-the-oldest-alto-that-is-their-main-horn

I know that lots are going to shout out an honorable mention to their oldest vintage horns and 'not' necessarily their main instruments. However, please do denote whether you do use it as your main bari, or not.

I play baritone in a local community band. So this is my main horn.

A Silver Plated Buescher TrueTone dated at 1916

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I've got a '54 Selmer Mark VI Low Bb bari I use as a main horn. Oldest one I've previously used as a regular horn was a silver '47 Conn 12M.

My Beuscher bass wins as my oldest regularly used horn, a '26 Beuscher True Tone bass in silver!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
1936 Conn 12M — one of the last without front-F.

I had a front-F installed on it. (Never mind tut-tutting about "modifying a classic horn," either. If it was good enough for Joe Temperley to install front-Fs on two 12Ms, it's certainly good enough for me!)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" (model 139; pictured in my avatar).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
1922 Conn Silver Plated New Wonder Series I. It's only keyed up to Eb. I don't gig on bari often, so it's good enough to get me by. That being said, always on the lookout for a killer deal on a 12M.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
1946 Conn 12M - silver plated. Has the front F and the fork Eb - the best combination.

I've been playing this horn (and I am primarily a baritone player) since 1984.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
1941 King Zephyr, almost mint condition. I prefer it over my 12M but I use the Conn for most gigs because it is already beaten up to the point where any additional ding or dent is in the noise.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,901 Posts
New Wonder 251XXX, but until I can get the pulldown fixed, playing a modern horn. For a long time my main was a True Tone from the mid-20s. Sold that one a couple of years ago, and predictably, wish I still had it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Buescher Bari. 1911 by the serial number. Has pearl g# but with snap in pads, no Norton springs but the Aristocrat art Deco engraving. Franken Horn by all accounts.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I can't say bari is my main voice - I can't say I have a main voice actually - but I do love playing it.
I got my 1929 Buescher True Tone when I was in high school, and I've been roaring along on it for six years. I've added an actuator to the G# arm that presses G# with low C#, because I play with guitarists and simply cannot use a horn without that. I've also added sugru to make some keys more comfortable, but even my fancy Yamaha EX's have sugru on low C, so that's not unusual.
I'll be trying a pile of current-production baris in a few weeks with possible intent to buy, but I'll happily keep playing my Buescher if nothing beats it out. I already know from experience that it blows away Selmers :evil:

I have a Buescher Bari. 1911 by the serial number. Has pearl g# but with snap in pads, no Norton springs but the Aristocrat art Deco engraving. Franken Horn by all accounts.
That is one weird horn. I'd bet if it could talk, it would have quite the story to tell us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first horn was a 1922 Conn New Wonder with the fork Eb and keyed to high Eb. I played it in grades 7-9. Its age seemed prehistoric to 14-year-old me at the time. It wasn't until years later that I realized that it had the fork Eb on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts