Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I really have an appreciation for 1920's saxophones as well as the music from that era. So, even with no auxiliary top F key, what are y'all playing on and more importantly, why?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
1923 Conn NWI , gold plated. I 've chosen this over many great horns.
Its the tone and expressiveness. I just can't find anything I love as much.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My C mel is from the 20's, and a great, fast horn capable of the early sound, or a modern sound with appropriate setups. I'd like to have a 20's Buescher or a 30's 6M. My oldest and first pick alto is a 50's 613. Nice, dark but loud horn.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My C mel is from the 20's, and a great, fast horn capable of the early sound, or a modern sound with appropriate setups. I'd like to have a 20's Buescher or a 30's 6M. My oldest and first pick alto is a 50's 613. Nice, dark but loud horn.
Yeah, 50's is cool too. I have an early Conn 14M and it roars on old rivet pads. Weird neck angle though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No alto yet, but my c-mel is a '25 Holton! I will likely be looking at vintage alto when I'm ready to add another horn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine is not the oldest here but my number horn is a 1946 King Super 20. I love the tone, it's lighter than any other alto I've played and I still get a thrill playing it. Beautiful horn, full pearls.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
1942 Buescher 400 "Top Hat & Cane". As far as I know, I am the second owner.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Too nice to not live most its life in the case.

View attachment 244852
That is beautiful. I've always wondered whether there ever was a sax where all the key touches had pearls - yours is the first where I've seen pearl on the palm keys and LH pinky table. Perhaps some King Zephyrs did (since they had them on side keys) - I don't know.

Please tell me what it is - I have to plead total ignorance on the make (Conn?) and designation of your sax - I'm just learning about the pre-war models recently. It's very beautiful.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1923 Conn NWI , gold plated. I 've chosen this over many great horns.
Its the tone and expressiveness. I just can't find anything I love as much.
Yeah, the old altos like your New Wonder seem to have some "charm" to 'em. I have a '22 or '23 Martin laying around. I need to get it playing or pass it along to someone who will.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is beautiful. I've always wondered whether there ever was a sax where all the key touches had pearls - yours is the first where I've seen pearl on the palm keys and LH pinky table. Perhaps some King Zephyrs did (since they had them on side keys) - I don't know.

Please tell me what it is - I have to plead total ignorance on the make (Conn?) and designation of your sax - I'm just learning about the pre-war models recently. It's very beautiful.
The Zephyr Specials and the Super 20's have pearls on the side, palm, chromatic F# and the G# key. Not only do they look great, but it's a good surface to prevent slipping.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Not exactly my main horn but I regularly play it at gigs: Conn S# 3255 (1901). My main alto is a 1934 "The New Aristocrat". But mostly I play tenor (Buescher TT 1924 and Aristocrat Series III 1951).

Most of my horns are vintage from 1915 (Martin Handcraft sop) to 1941 (King Zephyr bari).

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No alto yet, but my c-mel is a '25 Holton! I will likely be looking at vintage alto when I'm ready to add another horn.
It's only a matter of time! A matching set is always nice.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts