Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
It could very well be a "Kohlert '59" model from... 1959.... go figure....

I see part of the Art Deco engraving that the top of the line Kohlerts had starting in 1957...

It should have engraved on the bell "Kohlert '59"... yes?

If it does not say "Kohlert '59" you JUST MISSED IT, but still a good horn from the very end of the 1950's... IMHO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 59 anywhere I can see. Just 'Kohlert' on the side of the bell and a smaller 'Kohlert' mark in the diamond shape. Then it has the art deco engraving going from the right hand side to about the middle front of the bell.

So I have a late '59 or maybe early 60's that did not have a specific model name? That works for me! Now all I have to do is measure the cups and find some pads for it, some are starting to tear on the sides. Funny enough, with all the abuse it has seen it still sounds awesome.

Thanks for the help!

·
673 Posts
In the late 1950's Kohlerts top of the line horn models were the '57, '58, and '59... and were stenciled right on the bell in the middle of the Art Deco design..... mind you... stenciled in BIG letters and number "The Kohlert '57" etc...

So as you stated that the Art Deco engraving is there but the number '59 is not, then... it is not a "The Kohlert '59" model, but then obviously one of the other models (probably a Regent) which was also a very good horn at that point in time.

How does she play.... good luck with the pads.... my tech had to get several sets of pads and mix and match to get each pad to fit...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nevillesax, does yours have the 57 or 58 designation on the bell?

Tommy, my baritone (which is totally ruined, see my other thread) is a regent and it has it engraved in the bell under 'Kohlert'. This one has absolutely no model name on it. I guess this would be the '60' had they continued the trend. : )

Well, I had a very long break of playing sax, so I ust ordered a Hite mpc and lighter reeds so I can start over. I played briefly with a Vandoren T55 and a MS Lavoz reed and it sounds great! But it does have a few leaks. Most pads seem to seal well with some extra pressure excerted so with some adjustment I think it'll be fine. Some pads are starting to wear though, noticably outside the one holes.

I can imagine your tech had a lot of trouble matching pads! These things are really thin and the sizes are not exactly common. I will probably take it apart and see which need replacing, measure them up and start looking around for pads.

·
673 Posts
You are correct Doc... the pads are thin, much more so than todays "normal" thickness... It was a challenge to get my '57 repadded...

Good luck! and ENJOY!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nevillesax, does yours have the 57 or 58 designation on the bell?
No Doc, mine was stencilled for a music shop and has the 58 pinky configuration, see photos here
It had some damage when it arrived so I've only recently resolved the shipping dispute and had it repaired. My tech had to do some staightening and tonehole leveling but only ended up replacing a couple of the original pads! Didn't ask what pads he used but they seem to be just a thin standard type with rivets.
Has a really good sound and resistance to play though I am struggling with the G# and C# and the pinky setup generally...it really is a design issue with the keywork to get enough leverage with these keys I feel. Is the 58 the same pinky design (but obviously the different Bb key) can anyone tell me?
Still some work to be done there, and I'm gonna have to replace and move that thumbhook to be able to play for a long time but what a nice tone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts