Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/as-2JUFi7d8

1. My overall tone probably hasn't changed a bunch. But now my chops now don' tget tired , (don't ache) from doing it.
2. Just listening to myself in such a focused way over the 10 days made me A go back to a piece I used to play because I was missing something in my sound and B. I switched necks as an experiment and really heard a big dif quickly so thats a nice change that I doubt I would have thought of if I hadn't been listening so closely..
3.My intonation and ability to hold a note without it going sharp/flat has improved.
4. My breath control is much much better. I could hold all these notes out 2 to 3 times as long but I want the videos to be relatively short (8 minutes or so)
5. This is never boring. I notice in my playing that when I like my tone I hold notes in solos longer and actually pay more attention to phrasing/articulation. When I dislike my tone I just play faster things to gloss over it.
6. The low notes get easier response (in fairness the necks and lig changed some of that) and the high notes are less nasal and getting as big as I need.

7. I just needed a way to always "connect" with my sax in the same way doing this kind of thing has dramatically improved my flute tone. So I'm not long into this but I will make my students do more of this. Its easy to think , My tone is my tone, why worry about it.

Then you (or I) do something like this and your realize there is much deeper water in the well that you thought . And every Sax player I can think of has a commanding , individual tone. Parker, Sanborn, Garret, Lester, Coletrane, Brecker, Redman, Dexter. You name it. So if thats the first thing someone notices about your playing that I guess should have the most attention. So 7 minutes a day?? Too much effort???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't speak for other players but for me whatever I work on gets good/better and whatever I stop regularly playing gets worse. So I used to do a 16 second long tone exercise many many years ago on tenor an thats when I had the best breath control. But not having really done any long tones on sax for years, this exercise is "brand new " for me. And yes, it has quickly improved m breath control. Or helped me regain it, whichever way you want to look at it.
Not at all. On the contrary, sounds like a miraculously short path to a 'much, much better' breath control in just 10 days. Are you true to yourself?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts