Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts
16466 is the highest serial# Ive seen... someone got a good deal.

"Unfortunately, we do not ship internationally" Too right its unfortunate:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ain_0&rt=nc&si=veRDyNV4CXQTQ2hkJH2gXushOic%3D

I let this get away from me last week...as much as I would have loved to have another alto, I couldn't quite do it...sigh...
I saw that one too, but there was another medusa alto auction at the same time. I ended up contacting the seller and negotiating a lower price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Od30yHY%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've never been a fan of the brass on black. Don't know why, but I prefer siver keywork on black nickle. But that's just cosmetic preferences.

Guess the finish is a preference issue. Because I have a Yani A990B, I clearly fall into the black & gold camp. Never cared for the two tone gold and silver though and I saw what that seller was asking for it, no way anybody goes for it as is because a no reserve auction at least keeps the bidding competitive and I doubt that horn would ever fetch such a high price.
I think a visit to a good repair shop could yield a a key guard screw that you need.

Well, the goldbrass alloy with the three necks was the tipity top of the range so the price premium wasnt totally unexpected. What was surprising is that one doesnt have the adjustable keilwerth type palm keys. $2500 or whatever is a bit optimistic though. What I dont get is people paying that sort of money for the Guardalla ones... am I missing something there?

That goldbrass one was offered with a super session too by the look of it... thats what I play on my Alto now... works for me:)

$650 for the 2001 with the missing thumbrest is a steal, $35 for a fancy music medic thumbrest and its all good. Finding a screw to match a laquered guard shouldnt be too hard, its not like its an earthtone one...

Yeah, I thought what he was asking was a little much, but the last limited edition I saw for sale sold at around $2200. I didn't have the cash at the time and missed the opportunity. I was able to talk this one down a little further and I didn't buy the mouthpiece (I'm more than happy with my current pieces).

I didn't even notice that horn didn't have the adjustable palm keys. Very interesting. I wonder when they added that feature as my gold laq medusa alto has them.

I'm not a huge fan of the silver keys/ brass body either, that plating combo reminds me too much of the yas-23 I had growing up! So I'm hoping the silver bell and rose brass help off-set it a little! But it's 100% personal preference. I certainly wouldn't have a problem playing a horn with a gold keys/black body (espicially a yani)!

Yeah, and it was in the $600's for days, up until the last few minutes. I was freaking out that a medusa might sell that low. I was really tempted too, but I already had a gold-laq and was more interested in the lmited edition.

Yeah, I thought what he was asking was a little much, but the last limited edition I saw for sale sold at around $2200. I didn't have the cash at the time and missed the opportunity. I was able to talk this one down a little further and I didn't buy the mouthpiece (I'm more than happy with my current pieces).

I'm not a huge fan of the silver keys/ brass body either, that plating combo reminds me too much of the yas-23 I had growing up! So I'm hoping the silver bell and rose brass help off-set it a little! But it's 100% personal preference. I certainly wouldn't have a problem playing a horn with a gold keys/black body (espicially a yani)!
I have the tenor version of this 'Limited Edition' Goldbrass w/3 necks. from what I've heard there were only 200 made. Lucky you, you got one! I paid $2200 in 2004. I owned a YAS 23 and believe me they look nothing alike so you needen't worry. If anything the colors of my tenor more resemble a King Super20 Silversonic. I own four other good tenors(Buescher Aristocrat, Martin Handcraft Imperial, '51 The Martin & Antigua BC550) and the Medusa is the last one I would part with. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Wow, I haven't met too many people that, not only have a medusa tenor, but an Limited Edition as well!

from what I've heard there were only 200 made.
That makes me feel great about the alto, but a little disheartened about finding a matching tenor.... I'll have to sock away a little in case one pops up.

If anything the colors of my tenor more resemble a King Super20 Silversonic.
That's exactly what I was hoping for!

Yours truly was responsible for jacking up the price from the $600. I think I could've cleared the hurdle at $1200 but then my reserve for saving for a good baritone would have dried up and I just missed out on a very nice Keilwerth low Eb at about $3K a couple of weeks ago.
Having mixed feelings about letting it go though, man...

I didn't even notice that horn didn't have the adjustable palm keys. Very interesting. I wonder when they added that feature as my gold laq medusa alto has them.
There used to be the remnants of a B&S sax website up, and from memory they were a factory option I believe. Dont ever recall seing a 2001 with them, so "medussa" era I guess?

There seems to have been some sort of knowledge sharing between B&S and Keilwerth as the adjustable palm keys and the no stick G# mechanisms only seem to be seen on those two makers horns.

so "medussa" era I guess?
That's what I had assumed, as my gold-laq medusa has both the no-stick G# and adjustable palm keys, but according to pics of the last two medusas on ebay, they both had the no-stick G#, but not the adjustable palm keys. That leads me to believe that they added that feature later in their production run, but that's just a theory. As for a factory, you'd think they'd put all the bells and whistles on their "limited edition" model - again only a theory. I'll have to check serial numbers when the new medusa arrives.

I've played Keilwerths with the adjustable palm keys, and I've had them loosen at gigs and they just kinda flop around. It's even worse when they fall off and you have to hunt around for that nut too. And then after those experiences the urge to overtighten and potentially strip threads is overwhelming and then you'd have to replace the entire key. So, for me the adjustability doesn't out-weigh the possible nuisance.

My B&S model 2001 series IV has the adjustable palm keys, so they were available on the 2001. I'm thinking it was only the later model 2001 and the early Medusa that had them. My Medusa tenor does not and another Medusa alto did not. (0162xx and 0155xx). If I had to guess, I would say that B&S ordered a batch of the keys and did not re-order them when their stock ran out. They would have had to order a large number, say 100, and they were struggling at that point.

I'm a fan of the adjustable keys but don't really miss them if they're not there. fyi; the adjustable palm keys on the B&S and Keilwerth altos are not interchangeable.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.