Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time the B&S Medusa was hot stuff here. Many were curious, many just had to have one, some bought them. I'm curious about who actually went out and bought one, tested one and/or still has one. Are you content? :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've still got it...the mania that is. I needed to get the money out of my '65 Mark VI and played many pro level tenors around Toronto. I tried Yamaha 82Z's and 62's, Keilwerths, Jupiters, Stephanhousers and B&S 2001's and Medusas.

The Yamaha's were good, but more money and not as good as others. The Stephanhouser (unlacq'd) had the biggest, ballsiest, sound I've ever heard on a tenor (I've recently owned a Super 20 and a 10M) and was the cheapest of the bunch ($1800), but I was wary of its future.

It came down to a used 2001 in matte, a new 2001 in lacq and a Medusa in lacq. I ended up liking the Medusa best. The sound has a great blend of the French sweetness and the American balls and after a few key mod's, fit my hands well. One of the differences came down to one key - the Bb bis. On the Medusa, it is closer in proximity to the B key and more like my VI, which I liked better. The other minor mods were to raise the side RH Bb key and raise the palm D key.

Long and McQuade had marked down the last new B&S 2001 and Medusa at one of their locations from $3050 and $3150 to $2050 and $2150. I am the proud owner of a new, expertly set up Medusa.

Although I loved my VI, I do not miss it at all. It took no time for me to get accustomed to the different key layout of the Medusa and I love the sound. True, I may still be in the honeymoon period but I'm truly happy with my decision and I got the dough I needed. Bottom line is, IMO, there is not a $3000 difference between a Selmer and Medusa and I'd rather have the money in my pocket rather than in brass.

I've played or owned all the great pro horn brands and for the money, whether discounted or at full price, the Medusa is the bomb.

Trevor

·
Registered
497 Posts
Another Contented Medusa Guy

gary said:
At one time the B&S Medusa was hot stuff here. Many were curious, many just had to have one, some bought them. I'm curious about who actually went out and bought one, tested one and/or still has one. Are you content? :D
Gary,
I still have my medusa alto and tenor in Goldbrass with silver plate.

The Alto - my main horn. I had a Yamaha 62II as a backup but hated the sound, it was not too bad when I used one of the medusa necks on it. My alto back - up now is my old Martin Indiana - beat out a whole mess of horns after it was properly set up.

I did some horn testing on more than one occasion - not to replace the Medusa but to get the best back up. The only thing that might have won out (and it didn't) was a 1952 SBA.

The Medusa tenor is my main tenor. I tried all kinds of horns to find a back -up (Conn's, Selmers, Super 20's, Martins, Yamahas, and Keilwerths). I settled on a Keilwerth SX 90 as Medusa's back - up. It has great sound and I'm not afraid to knock it about (unlike the Medusa).

BTW - after just about daily use, the Medusa Alto (sliver plate) is finally starting to get some oxidation in hard - to - reach spots. Got it in 2004 I think.

In sum - greatest horn I've ever played (admittedly, I haven't played any Borganis or Inderbinens). I love the deep, rich, almost tenorish sound on the alto and the low end on both. I'm getting around the horn better now than when I bought them (thanks to the Rascher etudes) and the palm keys and altissimo is also rich and complex. Projection? With a link - like HR it's very powerful - can't be beaten by a Conn, Martin, or Super 20.

If anything happened to the Medusas (and they'd be very hard to replace), I'd probably have to content myself with the Keilwerth tenor. Alto replacement? Well if I could just afford an alto SBA - or I'd love to try a Borgani. GAS - BAD GAS - stop this!

Best Wishes - glad you're back - I missed you.
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Perhaps interest declined because they are no longer available. (or vice versa?)Does an Allora stencil count? Still really happy with mine to recap previous blather. My backup horn is a CJS which is in deep storage. I'm gonna sell it to Grumps someday.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,886 Posts
58tenor said:
Perhaps interest declined because they are no longer available. (or vice versa?)Does an Allora stencil count? ...
Sure it does, it's a Medusa in all but name.

Gary, I'm a latecomer to Medusa Mania. I bought a black nickel CJS alto on eBay. I wrote about it recently, discussing tuning issues I was having here, and posted the following pic but as a proud "Dad" of this horn can't resist posting again:

Since I've posted the above, I've only become more enamored of the sound and feel of the horn. So much so that if I can turn up my microphone, I might actually post a sample of my playing one of these days - consider this fair warning! As to the tuning issue, it's not completely resolved, but I think it's just that the horn requires different voicing adjustments than some others I've got around here. I'll get is straightened out eventually.

But to address your question from a more general perspective, I think MM probably became much more low-key once the horns became less available. Maybe we all need to make a point of checking in now and then to remind everyone how much we love our horns. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I didn't get in on the Medusa craze, but did wind up buying a CJS gold lacq alto and tenor. Every once in a while, I get the desire to hoard these horns - a bad impulse. When I see one of the tenors going for $1500 I have to try not to jump on it. I have been successful so far, and only lapsed once. I wound up buying an unlacquered CJS alto. I justified it because I was curious about unlacquered horns. I figured this would be a great chance to try one out at a very good price. I am still not sure I like the unlacquered thing - this one is in its molting process and has a ways to go. But it does stay on the sax stand and get played.

I think that there isn't much said about the B&S horns anymore because they are only available from private sellers online or from small caches in very scattered locations. And from what I can tell, not too may people who bought them for personal use are unloading them. Some people appear to have speculated in them, and those show up occasionally online. Further, in the grand scheme of things, not many were actually manufactured; so most players have not had, nor will have an opportunity to try them out.

Anyone got an Earthtone tenor they want to sell cheap :) ??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
I still have the desire to get one of the remaining BN CJS horns from WW&BW, but the absence of any parts for repairs has cooled me on the idea. I'm hoping some guy with money can figure out how to resurrect the brand.

·
Banned
782 Posts
gary said:
what do you intend with that question? (I´m very content with my Medusas... and all the B+S-saxes i know)

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,257 Posts
58tenor said:
My backup horn is a CJS which is in deep storage. I'm gonna sell it to Grumps someday.
Sorry, been out of the scrap metal business for some time now...

... and please people, realize this is just a little ribbing between folks who can take it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Still have my B&S alto and tenor and the tenor is my #1. I had a Goldbrass Medusa, but sold it on. I just couldn't justify having three tenors. BTW I also have an old Big B heirloom, but well used tenor that is going to get some work done to it.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Grumps said:
... and please people, realize this is just a little ribbing between folks who can take it
It's a sad commentary when you have to explain yourself like that...

·
Banned
782 Posts
Morry said:
I still have the desire to get one of the remaining BN CJS horns from WW&BW, but the absence of any parts for repairs has cooled me on the idea. I'm hoping some guy with money can figure out how to resurrect the brand.
Dear Morry,
my B+S-horns are very sturdy... why should there break something? and the pads are the same as usual.
yes there are no parts left to repair the B+S-saxes, but that´s the "problem" for all owners of older saxes.

i´d like to buy myself one of this bn-altos at wwbw, but i have the silverplated alto and really don´t need a second one.

i think, to buy one of these lovely little things would make you happy... (could be the last occasion).

kind regards
R.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Ruediger Kramer said:
Dear Morry,
my B+S-horns are very sturdy... why should there break something? and the pads are the same as usual.
yes there are no parts left to repair the B+S-saxes, but that´s the "problem" for all owners of older saxes.

i´d like to buy myself one of this bn-altos at wwbw, but i have the silverplated alto and really don´t need a second one.

i think, to buy one of these lovely little things would make you happy... (could be the last occasion).

kind regards
R.

I was just thinking about accidents that happen to guy's horns in clubs all the time. It's true that vintage horns have the same issue, but there are more of those around to scavenge for parts, if needed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Morry said:
I was just thinking about accidents that happen to guy's horns in clubs all the time. It's true that vintage horns have the same issue, but there are more of those around to scavenge for parts, if needed.
The perfect reason to have two B&S saxes... (insert demonic laughter here) :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
Have had a number of B&S (& stencil) altos, and still have a minty Series 2001 lacquer tenor. Great horns. I can only justify one tenor, though, and as soon as I'm done rebuilding my beloved King Marigaux, the B&S tenor will have to go. For the prices I've seen the 2001 tenors go for—$1,500 or so—I think it's impossible to find a better value in a tenor sax.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts